Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-22-2003, 08:42 AM
muxx muxx is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 187
Tax Exempt Number

Does anyone know how to go about getting a Tax Exempt number. It is not the same as a Tax ID number from IRS is it? Any info would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Grassmechanic's Avatar
Grassmechanic Grassmechanic is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
Join Date: May 2003
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,719
In order to achieve tax exempt status, you have to file the correct paperwork to form a Non-Profit or Not-For-Profit organization.
"the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties" Barack Hussein Obama

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Mikes Lawn Landscape's Avatar
Mikes Lawn Landscape Mikes Lawn Landscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 458
In Texas it's through the State Comptrollers office and you use it to purchase materials that you are going to re-sell to clients and charge sales tax to. We call it a Re-sale certificate I believe.Is that what your talking about. Check out your states website and search for Sales Tax or Resale certificate.

Good Luck

Get out NOW
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Green in Idaho Green in Idaho is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 833
Muxx, as the two posts indicate there is confusion as to what you are asking about.

Since a nonprofit does not have special 'tax-exempt' number. It can be assumed you are referring to the resale/sales tax purpose. And THAT is done through your state.

I'll bet you asked to buy at wholesale prices from someone and they asked you for your tax-exempt #....????
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 11:06 AM
GroundKprs GroundKprs is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 1,969
Some businesses will ask for your FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number) to verify that you are a business, to qualify for business wholesale pricing. Even if you are a solo operator, it is a good idea to have a FEIN. Then if and when you do start to hire, you don't have the hassle of rushing to get the ID number. Of course, if you are then registered as an employer, there are reports you will have to file, even with all zeros on them, LOL. To avoid the filing requirements, if you are solo, write distinctly on your FEIN application form: "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and you will not be required to file. Also, if you are an employer, and revert to solo, you will have to file zero reports for about a year before IRS puts you on an inactive status. But you still have the FEIN to use if and when you need it.

For state sales tax exemption, in most states you are exempt from paying sales tax ONLY on items you purchase for resale. If you are licensed by your state as a retail merchant, collecting sales taxes, you will have the info necesssary to make these tax exempt (for resale) purchases. Check with your own state revenue department for the proper procedure.
North central Indiana
<a href="">Learn About Turfgrass</a>
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012,™ - Grand View Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 AM.

Page generated in 0.07981 seconds with 8 queries