Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2003, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

What about Scag Mowers?

Well we have heard about Dixie Choppers and Walkers, so tell us about Scag Mowers. Pros / Cons. You guys have alot of info to share with first hand experience - and to us new to the biz and just starting out this info is priceless. I know I really appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

A tough machine but....

We have 2 Scag Turf Tigers. 2001 52" and a 2002 61" Over all a very tough machine and we have had GREAT dealer support. However the support from Scag is absolutely horrible. Had a wheel fall off the 2002, dealer turned it in for warranty and was denied. I wrote Scag twice and still have not received a reply. Cost us $263 on a machine that was suppose to be under warrant.

Am not pleased with the cut either, EX Mark lawns look much nicer and give a nice striping affect. Our Scags do not stripe at all. Wrote to Scag about a striping kit a year ago and was told they were working on it.

In closing a good tough machine overall, but Scag seems to care less about their customers. Next machines will be Exmark or Toro.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I own a 48" Scag belt drive with a 17 Kawi. The machine is built very well and it has tons of power. I also think it cuts incredible with the stock blades. My machine stripes great without any striping kit.

I hear a lot of guys complain about different machines not striping well. I know there are many posts here that talk about the pitch of the deck. I followed what the book said and I am very happy with the results. Therefore, I definitely recommend checking out Scag before you make your purchase.

However, I would look at dealer support no matter what brand machine you decide to purchase. It is important to have good dealer support in getting parts when you need them right away. Also, if you have an option to upgrade the engine, definitely do so. You can't go wrong with more horsepower.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 48" Scag ZTR with a 19 HP Kaw. This is an EXCELLENT striping machine. We get awesome stripes with no striping kit and factory blades. Most of the guys in our area run Exmarks. They do not stripe as well as Scag unless they get striping kits for them. There is a striping kit coming out for the Scags. I think I heard it will be out next spring.

We also have excellent dealer support. We demo'd the dixie chopper and just weren't impressed. We didn't care for the Exmark dealer in our area, so we went for the Scag, and I'm glad we did.

Here's our Scag stripes:

1998 GMC Pick Up w/2002 Western Pro Plow
18’ Open Trailer
Billy Goat Truck Loader
2003 48” SCAG ZTR
2004 61” SCAG ZTR
2000 Honda 21” Push mower
Little Wonder Edger
Honda String Trimmer
Echo String Trimmer
Husqvarna 145 & 165 blowers
Stihl Hedge clippers

www.garyfd2.com
Old 10-22-2003, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I run two turf tigers both 61'' and 6 assorted scag hydro walk behinds. They are tough as nails and we get great help from our dealer. The tigers can mow down anything and are good stripers. We use them heavily in fall and spring for clean ups. but still nothing can stripe like my Walkers. Have to Walkers we use as our finishing machines. The Scags are our workhorses. I will definetly buy more Scags in the future
Old 10-22-2003, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Turf Tiger Opinion

Have a 99 turf tiger, 1100 hours, 22 lc kawi, 61" deck, and nothing but regular maintence. It has the older style deck ( not advantage) and stripes great. Origional spindles, greased regularly. Bulletproof. Lawns here are mostly bluegrass.

Some people have had issues with their machines..I don't know if it's the setup, grass type, of operator error. Have a great dealer..Terpstra's in Indiana...very knowledgable.

No offense to Father and son, but I'm not sure if I would cover the wheel that fell off either. Sorry to hear about your luck though.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Done with a 52" SSZ...
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2003, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

My dealer exp wasnt great as I previously posted. I wrote Scag about it and what do you know? The dealer calls and said that Scag contacted them Mb not so bad after all!!

I defidently like Scag, they are the first commercial mowers that I was introduced to, and I haven't found anything else that I like as much.

As far as cut quality in comparison to other mowers, I really cant contribute because I havent used X mark or anything else.

Mine cuts great and stripes any grass that will be striped.

BUSH-CHENEY 04
Old 10-22-2003, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Scags to death. Never really cared to try others because I don't need to. My Scags do everything and more than I expect of them. I currently own 2 hydros that don't see much action because I am only cutting 19 lawns on my street but plan to expand in Spring because I just got my license and it's a little late to start. Just do a serch for my equipment and you will see it and some of my work.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My SCAG SW32 is a beast! Easy to repair also.

There is unrest in the Forest, there is trouble with the Trees
for the Maples want more sunlight and the Oaks ignore their pleas..