Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2003, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Slow Computer

Forgive me if this is posted on the wrong thread. I have a cable modem and while I'm on AOL pages the speed is good. However, when I'm on eBay, for example, and type in a "word" to do a search, it takes a few seconds for the letters to appear. Trying to surf eBay ,and some other sites, is extreamly slow. This problem started about a week ago. Any ideas?

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 10-05-2003, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

try deleting ur history and cookies which can really pile up and slow down your computer. Go to start, control panel, internet options, then click delete cookies delete files and clear history. See if that helps.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you run a virus scan with updated software?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If this just started about a week ago, did you download something without knowing it? Some downloads, like Kazaa, will kill your computer speed. Try to figure out what is running on your computer, and what you don't need.

On my older computer (PII, 400) the "new" "update" for the Mcaffee virus scan awhile ago absolutely slows it down.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

All of the above, then do a Disc Cleanup, then a defrag.

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools...Do clean-up, then defrag, then reboot. What OS (Operating system) are you running? Sounds like WinME to me. IF so, you need MaxMem also. Let me know, I'll let you know where to get it.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, in Start, go to Windows Update regularly. Follow the prompts to update anyhting it says it needs. ( Critical only usually-They will say "Critical Update) And update your virus scan at least once a week, if not more.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ElephantNest
All of the above, then do a Disc Cleanup, then a defrag.

I did "all the above" and disc clean-up. Disc scan keeps coming back and says that "something else is running and needs to be shut down", but I don't know what it is. Also, when I try to defrag, it doesn't make any progress. I ran it for 2 hours and had 0% done. I'm using windows 98. Thanks!

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 10-08-2003, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Depending on how long since it's been done, it may take a few hours. If done regularly, a few minutes. Try turning OFF your screensaver, so the PC won't go into hibernation after so long of no use. If it is set that way. That should let the defrag finish.

Try www.download.com and get AdAware( under utilities I think), install it and run it. Delete everything it finds. Fairly simple to use. Another one called SpyBot, some people use them both. I run AdAware. Also, go to Add/Remove programs in control panel, and delete old programs and things you don't use anymore, if anything.

Hope this helps, let me know.

~Nest
Old 10-09-2003, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob
Disc scan keeps coming back and says that "something else is running and needs to be shut down", but I don't know what it is. I'm using windows 98. Thanks!
One of my computers runs Win98...

If you hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, the "Close Program" screen should come up. This will tell you what is running on your computer. The only things that my computer needs are "Explorer" and "Systray", everything else I shut down. Everytime you restart the computer, all the programs will start back up. To stop the extra programs from automatically starting, you have to go into the Start Menu (or Startup Menu).

Honestly, I get lost alot when I start going into the guts of my computer programs. You can try hitting the "Start" button at the lower left, go to "Settings", then "Task bar and Start Menu", and see if you can shut things down from there.

The best thing to do may be to dig up someone who knows Win98 to come and sit in front of your computer to decipher what is running, and how to shut it down (and DELETE it to get it off your computer!).

I also use AdAware, and it seems to work great (and it's free!).

Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry i didn't see this sooner

First of all, go to your control panel and go to task bar setting.
Clear out your history, and Clear out your recent documents.
(You may have a file in your recent history that is pointing to a bad file name, or your floppy drive causing the computer to look for something that is not there, slowing it down tremendously)

Second, It may also be advertising on your computer as mentioned before. Download this file http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2144-10214379.html
This is Adware 6.0... It works like a virus scanner for advertising. Make sure the definitions are up to date. Run it twice to make sure everything is clean.

Third, (CAUTION) Go to Start, Run, and type in msconfig. Did i say to be careful, just want to make sure. Go to the start up tab in the window. Uncheck anything that may look like its bad. Your on your own here my friend. Be careful. By eliminating junk you don't need will speed you up. Try the first two above first.

Fourth, Your low on Ram. When you have too many programs loaded in Ram, the Ram gets stuffed. When your Ram is stuffed, windows opens up a file on your computer to use to swap the Ram being used to the file. When this is going on your computer data will only move as fast as your hard drive will go, which is slow. To fix this, you can do one of two things, go purchase some more Ram and upgrade, or clean your Ram out. To see what program in Ram is doing this to you, wait until your computer starts slowing down again. When this happens, hit the ALT CTRL DEL buttons to get a look at your task manager. Click on the Tab button memory usage, you may have to do it twice to sort the list of files by the highest number. If you have stuff in there like realplay.exe, qttask.exe, you can get rid of these by configuring these programs not to load into Ram. You will just have to figure out each one individually.

Fifth, if you have a CD Rom in your computer, take the CD out. If its bad it may be trying to read it... yikes

Sixth, AOL is a real memory hog. I don't personally use it, but have tried it once. When AOL has a major update, it leave behind the old version on your computer, AOL 6.0 , 5.0 etc may still be on your hard drive. I'm not sure if you can uninstall these versions or not, but they certainly arent doing any good. Contact AOL for help getting rid on these.

Seventh, You hard disk is getting full. It happens, if this is the case, think about getting an additional hard disk as a slave to add future programs on.

Eightth, If all else fails, send Sean a note and ask him for my email for tech support. Sean and I never talked about this so I am not sure of the polocies here. But I will send you a program to run on your end, and after a 3 minute installation, i will tell you what to do and will look at your computer from my office. You could then watch me and i will describe in detail what i am doing as you watch, and I will help you out and give you a fix, or a diagnoise in less than 30 mins.

Danny Hatt