Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2003, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Simple/cheap functional OCDC

One of you guy's wanted this info. Here ya go. This OCDC works on Hustlers, Exmark Z's and other machines with the factory welded metal extension for a bagger. The clips for holding the chute closed are large size paper holders from any stationary story and metal. Takes about 5 seconds to open or close.
The hinge is a gate type from Home Depot or any hardware story. I used a piece of aluminum which made sizing to the opening easy. Total price about $10 and works as designed.
Pete
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2003, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pic #2
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2003, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

WOW thats cheap

But i guess it works
Old 10-24-2003, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LandscapeEscape88
WOW thats cheap

But i guess it works
all it has to do is close the chute exit to work. It opens in a few seconds. Again...... functional/cheap
Old 10-24-2003, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's it for? I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem all that functional for what I THINK it would be used for, and that is mowing. By the time you shut your machine down, got off of it, and set that chute down, then got back on again to mow near what ever you are doing, and then do it all over again, it just seems that there would be better ways. If it's for leaf mulching, I can kind of understand it, except that there would be alot of blowout. This of course, is not the true word of mulching, as it will leave streaks as it all clumps up on the right side of the deck, however, it would work for the basic grinding.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

200.00 quikchute works for me, not cheap but works well
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2003, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Runner
What's it for? I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem all that functional for what I THINK it would be used for, and that is mowing. By the time you shut your machine down, got off of it, and set that chute down, then got back on again to mow near what ever you are doing, and then do it all over again, it just seems that there would be better ways. If it's for leaf mulching, I can kind of understand it, except that there would be alot of blowout. This of course, is not the true word of mulching, as it will leave streaks as it all clumps up on the right side of the deck, however, it would work for the basic grinding.
Frankly, with being a member since 2000, I gather you haven't explored the possiblities of an OCDC, in which case you should.
After using it only a week, I've redesigned my way of getting rid of leaves............
No, it's not a mulch kit, but then, you can also instantly (10seconds) mow with an open chute and blow the dust/leaves (without being locked into a full blown mulcher) and cut grass without leaving mulch clumps every time you turn around to make another pass. I have a mulch kit and they aren't nearly as good as they are cranked up to be.
Pete
Old 10-24-2003, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pete,

I think if you could fashion a way to flip it open/closed on the fly, it'd be much more usefull.

Try the 3/8" ratchet swivel and rod up to your handlebar area. I think your buddy BHB has that on his. Thats what I'm going to make for my SCAG WB.

I understand what your using it for, but being able to open and close it on the fly will really amaze you at what it can help you do.

Sure mine spends 90% of its time OPEN, and 5% closed, but the other 5% its half open or just cracked open a hair.

You ever try BACKING over a windrow of leaves with it closed? Thats some serious shredding there!

Good Luck.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-25-2003, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's kind of what I was getting at. Also, for going over the stuff forward, these work best if the chute is open just a little bit to let the deck breathe. This allows suction to bring the leaves in. When it's fully closed, there is just too much blowout, - especially when the deck gets rather full of material. I've had one of these on my Lazer for a couple of years now, and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's the only way to go. And like Tom said (which you probably already do, anyway), when you have your material somewhat gathered, go over it backwards, and it grinds it right up into dust. I always attributed this to the theory of it kicking all the material to the left side of the deck first, then it has to kick it back to the left. It's the way to go.
One other thing I was thinking, Pete. Since you have the actual plate and hinge assembly, have you looked into exactly what it would take to put an actuator on there like what the Masterchute uses? Didn't someone say that this was merely a powerwindow actuator available at most autostores? Man, for the price you have into it so far, (which certainly can't be beat), that would be awesome to see just what one of these type of units could be built for. Just an idea.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TLS
Pete,

I think if you could fashion a way to flip it open/closed on the fly, it'd be much more usefull.

Try the 3/8" ratchet swivel and rod up to your handlebar area. I think your buddy BHB has that on his. Thats what I'm going to make for my SCAG WB.

I understand what your using it for, but being able to open and close it on the fly will really amaze you at what it can help you do.

Sure mine spends 90% of its time OPEN, and 5% closed, but the other 5% its half open or just cracked open a hair.

You ever try BACKING over a windrow of leaves with it closed? Thats some serious shredding there!

Good Luck.
Tom,
I realize what you are saying, but this is supposed to be the cheap/simple version, and that it is.
As far as blowout, I don't have a problem, but then again, it's on a Hustler. It works fine for doing spots that don't allow throwing the grass, plus mulching leaves and if it was to be used for "open/close la de da" operation, then it would be a "different design", of which you can use BHB's idea.
Thanks,
Pete