Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2000, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Member

we have lawns loaded with grubs, the merit just did not work this year. did anyone else have this problem. we used merit 2 years ago and got excellent control.
Old 10-18-2000, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So far so good....

Down here along the coast (CT), no problems so far. I think you are local, so I would assume it was all watered in, because of the rain we had all season. We put ours down a little bit later - 3rd application, after 2 pre-emergents, so it was going down while the grass was really growing well. Did you put it down too early, or during that short hot/dry spell we had early in the season?

I have had lawns treated with merit sandwiched between bad lawns with nasty infestations. For the last few years its been like there is an invisible fence.

Old 10-18-2000, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have not had a problem for four years of Merit useage out here. What formulation did you use, and what was the timing of applications?
Old 10-20-2000, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

we used the wsp and sprayed in may and june .will try mach 2 next year.
Old 10-20-2000, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use MachII, but a customer put down GrubX (Merit) and had some damage, not severe, but there none the less.

Another customer has one of the larger Co's in the area treat his lawn. I have been trying to get him for years. I stopped to cut one afternoon, and the tech was there. I asked what he was applying, he replied" grub control". I didn't get anything further from him.

Well, this lawn suffered big time. The critters are a diggin'. If I can't sell him after this, I never will be able to.
Old 10-20-2000, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Steven, I would check that all problem properties were not in the same batch of spray. Can always have a mixing error. If you are sure of calibrations, I would check with the Bayer rep for your area.
When I have had problems with chemicals in the past, I found the manufacturer reps to be the best source of resolution. It is often a simple answer that you never think of.
Old 10-22-2000, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Grub Control

Steven, An important factor in successful grub control is application timing,rate and pest being controlled. If Merit
is applied to early there will be not enough residue for effictive control. Bayer is recommending applying Merit at the highest rate. Merit should be watered in very soon after
the initial application v/s Mach 2. Was the grubs found checked to see what grub it was? If the grub was a masked
cheafer you may have missed the window. I've used Merit for the 5 years or so and have had excellent results. No plans
on changing products any time soon. By the way I use granular fertilizer w/ Merit.
Old 10-28-2000, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jaclawn, you said that a customer used some GrubX. The formulation of that product changed this year in my part of the country (midwest). It used to be the same active as merit but now is that same as MachII. I noticed this at the hardware store one day. I use merit and machII on a rotating basis now. Half my yards get merit one year mach II the next, the reverse next year. I say kill'em all let god sort them out
Old 05-16-2001, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

steve,i came across your post in a search. what are you doing this year with the grub problem?
ant
Old 05-17-2001, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There have been numerous studies done on Merit with no indication of any resistance.

Generally spreader ( sprayer ) calibration is to blame for ineffective control. The other possibility is that you received a bad batch, no merit in the substrate.

Jim L