Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 10-28-2003, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another Mag9000 Question

Hello,

I purchased the MAG9000 earlier this year and I am pleased but not completely. I am having problems keeping the blades flat on the work surface during sharpening.
As I first pull the blade from the center hole outward everything is ok, but when I reach the point where the blade lift occurs there is less flat blade surface to help me keep the blade flat, and my angle is less than perfect.

It seems that if the sharpening surface were a bit larger it would help immensly with this problem. Is there a larger/ longer platform available? Anyone else have this problem??

Thanks
Jimbo
Old 10-29-2003, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heeellloooooooo, Heeellloooo. I think there is a bad echo in here.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Sponsor

Hello Jimbo,

I don't know what the echo comment is refering to, i have just recieved notice of this post today 10-29 1:32 pm CST (the lawnsite.com servers could have been slow to send the email notifications to me that you posted, i don't know.)

Now for your question.

For me to better understand what you mean, would you like the worktable to become larger on the left side (your left when standing in front of the grinding wheel?)

OR - do you want the worktable to increase in size towards you?

Aside from a larger worktable one other possiblity that may be occuring is that the blade you are trying to sharpen is no longer "sharpen-able".

The TIP of the blade (the most important component) is made up of THREE planes or surfaces.

1. The flat underside of the blade
2. The outer end of the blade
3. The edge-face (angled part-which you grind)

These THREE surfaces create the TIP of the blade - if any of these surfaces are not complete, the blade will not properly function.

Now what does this all mean to you, and your question?

My possible guess is that the blade is all worn out and you are begining to sharpen into the begining of the LIFT, in other words there is no more flat underside of the blade. Thus preventing the blade from laying flat on the worktable; allowing you to produce a proper angle.

Now aside from that possiblity - we have heard of/seen some blades that while they have flat cutting edge there will be a TWIST between the center mounting hole and the begining of the inner edge. This can cause problems for the MAG-9000 to a point, but then people are generally looking to make the worktable smaller not larger.

Please let me know if you can provide me with some more info, or even digital pictures to better solve the problem you are having.

(no at this time we do not make any other size worktables.)

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 10-29-2003, 02:51 PM
Sponsor

What kind of blades are they Jimbo?

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
Old 10-30-2003, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply,

The Blades are an aftermarket high lift blade (18"). I get them from my dealer and I dont know the actual Manufacturer. However I have the same problems with the factory Scag blades as well.

The problem is not that they are worn. Most of these blades are being sharpened for the first time.

The problem could be due to the twist where the "lift" area curves upward and the small surface that is left to guide the blade.

If your in position to sharpen the blade (facing the round portion of the wheel) the table would need to extend toward the operator. With a High-lift blade there is a portion of the blade which is only about 1.5" wide and you are trying to hold the blade flat on a work surface that only supports about 1/8 of the blades length. How can it not be difficult to keep the blade level while sharpening??

It doesnt sound like there is anything you can do for me, but if it will help improve the product I will take photos of what I am writing about. I cant believe people actually want the work surface to be smaller....makes no sense to me.

Jim
Old 10-30-2003, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jimbo,

I know exactly what you mean. More of the blade is suspended in air than lays flat on the table. To hold the blade flat on the table you would have to get your hand a little bit closer to the wheel than I prefer.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are some photos. The first is a blade on the 9000 showing the small area of supported blade when you reach the tip. I keep blaming the blade because of the twist on the high lift, but I really think the platform is just too small for any blade. It does work but could be alot more user friendly and require much less operator effort to keep the blade flat on both planes.

You be the judge.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2003, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The second image is the same photo but I added a white line which extends from the current platform showing the size that I think the platform should have been (based on an 18" blade). You can see how the platform extends out to the center of the blade even as you are working on the very tip. This provides a very solid surface and would eliminate any chances of the blade being out of proper position.
I dont see how this size platform would cause anyone a problem?

At the least I think it should be sold as an option.

Thanks
Jim

P.S. The arrows (although not the best) are there to represent where the blade tends to be off plane due to the small platform. The arrows that are curved near the wheel represent how a high lift blade (with narrow bottom) can tilt and the angle can suffer.
The arrows which are facing up and down represent how any blade style can be off plane when you are sharpening near the tip (again due to the small platform).
Attached Images

Last edited by Jimbo; 10-31-2003 at 04:04 AM..
Old 10-31-2003, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I almost forgot. The blade shown is a Medium lift blade. The High lifts are much thinner where the lift occurs.

Jim
Old 10-31-2003, 03:27 PM
Sponsor

Hello Jimbo,

Thank you very much for the photos, man, don't you just love the internet.

Ok, after reviewing this info, and having my engineers look at it, we are seriously considering an (optional / accessory) worktable that could be purchased seperatly.

The reason for wanting a smaller worktable as i spoke of earlier, is that some blades have a step-up bend between the mounting hole and begining of the inner edge, and a larger worktable would prevent these people from sharpening the full edge.

So the best solution is to have (2) worktables for both types of user.

I do not have a specific date/schedule yet for this accessory part, but we will be researching the costs and a design during this winter, to hopefully have something by the spring for release.

Thank you again, and i think we can find an easier solution for you and other high-lift blade users.

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com