Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-28-2003, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

home, shop, land? my idea (pros&cons)

ok. here we go. i have been thinking about my own place for awhile now. here is my plan. i get 3-5 acres of land zoned residential/commercial i put my shop towards the back of the property and my house to the front. 2 seperate drives to the house and shop seperated by trees. back wooded area w/ drive (behind shop) for dumping leaves grass trees etc. i have been thinking and looking at the pros and cons but i would really like to know am i dreaming or is this idea feasible. i dunno, i think i may be getting ahead of myself but it sure as hell beats paying rent to someone else on a shop home etc. any of your ideas thoughts would be appreciated. can all this be done given the right area for around $150,000 / $200,000 like i said anything is help. can't hurt my feelings none.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That amount of money would barely get the land around here, much less a home and a shop.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been thinking about the same thing. The idea of a separate workshop away from the house is very appealing. Id put a big screen out there, a sofa, fridge and other of lifes neccessities. For the money you,re talking about, I could come up with something around here.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

like i said it's all in the making i dunno i've heard that it can be done around that price. at least shop. land... its all in what area you would be in i guess
Old 10-28-2003, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by locutus
I have been thinking about the same thing. The idea of a separate workshop away from the house is very appealing. Id put a big screen out there, a sofa, fridge and other of lifes neccessities. For the money you,re talking about, I could come up with something around here.
i like your choice of tools to stock the shop with!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its a nice thought, however if you're remaining in DE, I think you need some more capital. The most land you could acquire for 150,000 is about 2 acres in northern, DE. Keep in mind that is space, not buildings, utilities, etc. If you wanted to get more bang for your buck, you'd have to relocate to lower DE, however the job market - lawn maint., landscaping, and snow plowing are completely different. Just an hour ride between wilm and dover and weather is complete opposites at times.

also, in populated areas it is going to be even more difficult to find land and zoning to suit your needs. Right now I'm trying to relocate, and we can't even find 2 acres of land and office space for a business. We been looking for over a year now.

from a legal standpoint, I don't know if I;d want a home and business linked on the same property. What if you were sued. If you live and work at the same location, you could lose everything. at least if you had your home, and leased or bought other property, you could separate your belongings in legal documents, which may protect you if someone went after you.

most decent townhomes, can't be found for under 120,000 in Wilm. and surrounding areas, so I don't see you reaching your goal without some substantial plans and financial backing.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

i was thinking maryland area not far from newark. bam great reply thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you have a great idea, but you're way off the mark on the costs. Depending on how you get zoned, if you are open to the public and have to satify the ADA act like I did, you're in for a real headache and awakening. Check this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...threadid=54869

This small 2400 sq ft building (office, bath, shop & mech room) on a 3/4 acre lot was almost your upper end figure. Its real value is almost double that.

Again - great idea, but when you have to factor in "soft costs" (engineering fees - mine were almost $20K), ADA issues, zoning, permits, et al... you need to be a Rockerfeller to make it happen.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

now i know why i like living in the beautiful blue-ridge mountains of Virginia. I'm 15 minutes from the Blue-ridge parkway,near Mabry's Mill. I have 5 acres with a 2 year old house that i had built. Nice big yard,paved driveway,lots of landscaping,pool,about 1,000 square feet of decks. The house is a 1 1/2 story with a full basement(3100 square feet),it has 22 foot high ceilings in the living room with a balcony overlooking. Hardwood floors throughout excepty ceramic tile in the bathrooms. 3 bedrooms,and 3 baths. Also has a 1 car carport,and 1 end of the house has a lot of glass(the end with the 22 foot ceilings),has a rock fireplace,rock around the front door,and rock around the foundation and basement. Also have a 12x24 shop. All of this and it is appraised at $175,000. Ready to move yet? Only one bad thing the unemployment rate is 14% in this county. Most people are self-employed. Alot of retired people from up north have started moving here in the last couple of years also. Alot of summer homes around here also.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking along those lines also...but then I thought....
Employees will know where I live...in the big house on the hill, with the boat and the jet-ski and his wife is driving a BMW, and we are only making $8.00 an hour etc.... Also if I want to sell the biz...I have to sell the house with it. The greatly lowers potential buyers.

KEEP YOUR WORK AND HOME SEPARATE!!!!!!!!!