Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2003, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Getting to the "Dealer demo level"

Ok, I hear all the time "yada yada, my dealer called me and wants me to demo this and that." I understand you guys have built a strong relationship with your dealers, and by the dealer directly calling you up, it's just like direct advertising for them. (to you that is).
Has there been sort of a magic $$$ level of gross sales per year that gets dealers calling you to demo stuff? Or a certain $ amount of equipment you've bought from them per year. Right now, I'm at the stage where the owner of the shop can remember all my last purchases and asks me how I'm liking them. (makes me feel good, and feels like a personal relationship with the guys at the shop - so thats good). But as far as demo'ing goes - I've just taken a used toro floatign 44" out in the field next the shop once.

Second question:
How long do you guys normally keep the demo models for?
I'd love to take a 32" out for a test drive for one day of mowing to see how I'd like it before I bought one. (I use 21's and I plan on buying a 32 next year). Would it be wrong to ask the dealer to let me take a 32 out for a test drive for a day or two? If so, what are the conditions? Is it a free test drive?
Thanks.
Business is going good, added another 15 accounts (residential) in the past 2 weeks, so those make up for the other 35 or so that have slowed down due to colder weather. (if only everyone here had rye grass:-D)
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 10-30-2003, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

dealers have to pay for demos yah know.i know ferris has i one machine one demo rule.if a customers wants to try there 52 23hp ztr.they can only demo that mower once.after the demo if someone else wants to demo that same unit.the dealer has to pay a % of the cost of the mower
Old 10-30-2003, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

J is this Garland Saw your talking about. If I remember right you are the one who recomended me to them. I called the next day and got a very good price and went and bought my 36" metro hp. I will never talk about a certain price again, but what have you been waiting for. Getting the bigger mower will be one of the best things you have done to yourself. I test drove mine in the lot next door to make sure I liked the ECS and had them load it up. They are a great dealer and once you use a 32" or a 36" it will feel like using all your 21" at the same time. Just buy it or order it, trust me you will be happy.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ah yeah TRex, that's the place I'm talking about. for the past 4-5 years I've just mowed like 2 yards a week for a little spending money, and this year I decided to get bigger. So I looked at some of the dealers. Richardson Saw & Lawnmower is about 1.5 miles from my house, but everytime I go in there I get treated like crap because of my young age. So i thought screw them, I'll take my business somewhere where it's appreciated. So I found Garland Saw, and in the past 3 months bought my echo srm 260 ($285) and that toro suzuki 2cycle ($979). The guys are so nice, I'll never go anywhere else.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 10-30-2003, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So what are you wating for go get what you need. I mean a big W/B. You should be able to cut your mowing time in half and save a lot of energy for when you get home. Go get it, I have thanked you and you can thank every one here later after you see how nice it makes life. Remember to pratice in you BACK yard a lot and keep the inside wheel always turning, if you don't it will take a while for the bald spot to grow back.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey TRex, what area do you service? And where abouts do you live? What is the name of your company? Well I just bought a new truck, so incase the fall season gets really slow, I still want to have enough to cover the payments. Although, the truck will be paid off at the end of next summer, just as you know, in Texas, there's not alot of money to be made unless your accounts have rye grass.
www.eagle-irrigation.com