Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2003, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

hydorseed over turf?

can i hydro seed over existing turf? lets say 50% established turf and 50% bare ground will it kill off the existing turf or make a big mess?
Old 11-01-2003, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

?
Old 11-01-2003, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Why is it at 50%? Are there light conditions or soil conditions that need to be addressed?

If you are at the point of needing to hydro-seed...it sounds like you should just re-do it. Start with prepping the soil and then hydro seed. Prepping the soil in itself will tear up the existing turf. If you are going to hydro-seed right over the top with out prepping the soil, I doubt you'll get good establishment and then end up having to re-do it again.

My suggestion (given that the 50% that is there is desirable turf), is to power seed / slit seed the area. Apply starter fertilizer.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks Relly
it would be 50% left of turf as 4 slit seeding i have one it works great but not on some hills and with trees with roots near the surfes it is also a bear to run all day i was looking 4 a eaiser way to overseed some of the more difficult areas i do as 4 prep i core aerate and do the normal things to help the new grass along.
in my area we have tons of new and older homes with verry hilly lawns that always need seeding and they are hard if not impossible to get a machine on
Old 11-18-2003, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Hills can be a problem. If you do hydro seeding, be sure to include a tackifier. Depending on size of area, mulch blankets work well.

As far as maintenance to newly seeded lawns (even established lawns that are thinning), I make it a practice to aerate every fall. I then overseed in order to help thicken the turf. This is followed with proper apps of a starter fert.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scratch it up,poke it up and spray it. It works. Be sure to soil test and adjust. We offer the service.
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .