Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-01-2003, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Working for my Neighbor

I learned a valuable lesson today. DO NOT WORK FOR YOUR NEIGHBORS. OK, now I feel better!
Old 11-01-2003, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

O.K. what happened?
Old 11-01-2003, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just the fact that there neigbors says enough!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Or friends or family..........
Old 11-01-2003, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by olderthandirt
Just the fact that there neigbors says enough!!!
you're right. I just wanted the details. I once got the shaft from my neighbors, but I think it was more of a mis-communication thing. I didnt pursue it in order to keep things peaceful. Our kids play together etc. I wont mow for them anymore though.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I let 'em know right off, I'm good, but I ain't cheap! Hey, this works pretty good for relatives, too.
Crawdad
Old 11-01-2003, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Before I moved in, my neighbor mowed his grass once every two months or so whether it needed it or not. I have done tons of work, very cheap helping him get his back in order. He doesn't work. He sits in his garage smoking cigarettes all day and watches his grass grow, and is even kind enough to let me know if I miss a blade of grass while mowing. His yard has become his obsession now that it looks nice. He is the micro manager from hell. I aerated, and overseeded about 3 weeks ago and it has yet to come up in full force. He looks at other established lawns and compares his to theres, and once to know why his hasn't come up. I tell him to be patient, and water. I came in today to see another LCO areating and overseeding. I was disappointed, even though I was doing his for peanuts, I felt as though I failed. Then he didn't want to pay me, because the grass hasn't come up. He paid the other guy $100 to aerate, overseed and fertilize, which made me look very bad, because I charge much more than that as a standard price. Anywho, I decided it would be best if I did not do anything anymore. Just frustrated to live next to your own persanal PITA.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray & Karen
Before I moved in, my neighbor mowed his grass once every two months or so whether it needed it or not. I have done tons of work, very cheap helping him get his back in order. He doesn't work. He sits in his garage smoking cigarettes all day and watches his grass grow, and is even kind enough to let me know if I miss a blade of grass while mowing. His yard has become his obsession now that it looks nice. He is the micro manager from hell. I aerated, and overseeded about 3 weeks ago and it has yet to come up in full force. He looks at other established lawns and compares his to theres, and once to know why his hasn't come up. I tell him to be patient, and water. I came in today to see another LCO areating and overseeding. I was disappointed, even though I was doing his for peanuts, I felt as though I failed. Then he didn't want to pay me, because the grass hasn't come up. He paid the other guy $100 to aerate, overseed and fertilize, which made me look very bad, because I charge much more than that as a standard price. Anywho, I decided it would be best if I did not do anything anymore. Just frustrated to live next to your own persanal PITA.
I know exactly what you mean. My next door neighbor is the most pathetic waste of skin known to man. He has the same problem as your neighbor. Never thinks his lawn needs mowing. This mensa applicant managed to blow up three new mowers in six months. One was two minutes old when it blew because he decided the quart of oil that came with it didnt need to go in it. The other two blew up because they were 3.5 hp pos's that weren't meant to cut foot and a half tall grass. Finally some other neighbors and myself put the screws to our h.o.a. to do something about this turd. The people that have the contract to mow our common area's are comming out this week to mow for him and the association is going to put a lein on his house. I hope this awakens the few neurons he has left floating around in his vacuous skull. There I feel better now.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Neighbors, friends and family....always a touchy situation. Always tried to avoid that, but it's hard....seems I always give in.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 11-01-2003, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you need to add a night time application of weak roundup to ensure the success of his new grass.