Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2003, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Should I get the eXmark Metro?

Ok, I need to buy a 32" mower. The only 32" eXmark makes is the Metro, which is just a fixed deck. The smallest floating deck eXmark makes is a 36"- Metro HP. I need to have a 32" because a 36" won't fit through my customer's gates.
Toro makes a T-Bar floating 32" though. But I wanted to keep the same brand mowers (just to make it easier on me).

So what should I do? My dealer does eXmarks, but can order Toro's.

Also I saw that eXmark makes a 21" mower. But the gas tank is only like 1.6quarts. That's sooooo small! The toro's have 1gallon tanks! Did I read that right? does eXmark make any 2cycle 21" mowers? Thanks guys.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 11-01-2003, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the 36" metro. I love it. its a work horse...
I havent found a gate yet it doesn t fit through....
Old 11-01-2003, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 48" Metro, at least 7yrs old, runs fine. Good machines.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a 32Ē metro for $1800+tax and I must say its is a great little mower. However I shout have held out for the Viking I know it costs more but the advantage that the hydro drives have over belt drives is a big difference. You get larger rear tires a real reverse , the fact that itís a fixed deck is rather insignificant when you are dealing with a small deck I havenít scalped any thing yet. And the deck is real easy to adjust either way they are great mowers.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

again, what would be the price difference between a 32" belt and a 32" hydro? I could feel kinda dumb buying a 32" hydro though. Kinda like putting a turbocharger on a chevy nova. :-\
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 11-02-2003, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

jwing check this page out http://www.powerzoneinc.com/exmark-pr.htm and save it to favorites for refference. I thought I might of hed to get a 32", but I figured that the back yards that I could not get my 36" in I would just use the 21". Use that page just to see the price differance between mowers. I am sorry it doesn't have a 32" on it but I don't think there is anything wrong with toro. And I don't know how I could like with out the floating deck on my metro. I can cut bermuda at 1.5" and cut st.aug on the next lawn at 3.5" by only taking 10 seconds to adjust. Also it is a wonderfull thing to be able to pull four pins, take off the deck hood, and release the blade belt and have deck come right out for service. This is so easy compaired to a fixed deck having to try and tip the mower back and lay under it to clean or get to the blades.

Last edited by TRex; 11-02-2003 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Should I get the eXmark Metro?

Quote:
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
Ok, I need to buy a 32" mower. The only 32" eXmark makes is the Metro, which is just a fixed deck. The smallest floating deck eXmark makes is a 36"- Metro HP. I need to have a 32" because a 36" won't fit through my customer's gates.
Toro makes a T-Bar floating 32" though. But I wanted to keep the same brand mowers (just to make it easier on me).

So what should I do? My dealer does eXmarks, but can order Toro's.

Also I saw that eXmark makes a 21" mower. But the gas tank is only like 1.6quarts. That's sooooo small! The toro's have 1gallon tanks! Did I read that right? does eXmark make any 2cycle 21" mowers? Thanks guys.
I have a 36" belt Metro, make not mistake, the machine is a true workhorse, loving it for what it does. That 32" deck is under 2k if that is your budget then get it and don't forget a sulky to fully use the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear without pulling your guts out by chasing it! The 12.5 kawi on that 32" deck is a veteran engine which never quits!
If you have dollars (if you have) more I suggest getting the 36" TTHP with 15 twin kawi, it is the best WB in the market. period. Coupled with the 2- mode Bullrider and you got yourself an all- around 36" Lazer.
Hills, slopes, gates, tight lawns, tall and wet grass, that 36" TTHP does it all, besides being fast and quickly in and out, and of course "cut" incredibly nicer than the bigger 48" deck cause it discaharges faster from the 2 chambers and "not" under powered like 15 or 17HP on 48" and 52" decks. It is about $4400-$4500 new.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

mtr, thank you! That was great advice, I'm gonna go with what you said and get the 32" belt for now. And then if needed, I'll get a bigger one a month or two later.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

Old 11-02-2003, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
mtr, thank you! That was great advice, I'm gonna go with what you said and get the 32" belt for now. And then if needed, I'll get a bigger one a month or two later.
Think it over good. do you really want a 32. I've got 36 metro ecs and 48. both great. unless you have a lot of small gates use a 21 and get the 36. Check the price differance
Old 11-02-2003, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You may want to also look at the Ferris 32" hydro. I don't think it is that much more expensive than the Metro and the hydro's instant forward and reverse is wonderful to use. Just a thought.