Register free!

Old 11-11-2003, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another option in dealing with clay soils is to use a soil conditioner. We use a product called Aqua-Save. Conditioners work by altering soil chemistry, in this case allowing water to be absorbed by the soil rather than repelled at the surface. In combination with other procedures (aeration, dethatching, ...) it helps eliminate many of the problems associated with clay soils.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I do not claim to have any type of degree in the chemistry of soil. In saying that, I am learning as I go, and this post has grabed my attention. Reason being: there is a whole lot of clay in this area, I mean so bad, I could probably sell it to walmart as molding clay. I have talked to many people in the business asking them about how to resolve the problem and all that I have heard so far is fertilizer and lime. But, I know that soil is like any ecosystem, and needs many factors to be at its best.

Well sorry about the lengthy opening. My question to those of you that might really be able to teach me somthing. (in this posting, it is mentioned to add organic material and sand to the existing clay then combine) well, what do you mean about the organic material? What exactly are you using and how are you using it? Where do you obtain this organic material?

Like I said, I am eager to learn from you guys.

Thank you
Chad
Old 11-12-2003, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chad

Horticulture Gypsum not lime will break down clay. But this can take years and repeated applications. Alway fertilizer about 5 day after applying Gypsum. no I am not going into a chem lesson here.

SOM (Soil Organic Matter) is anything Organic in the soil. This can be old roots from plants slothing old roots. or decomposed plant clipping, etc. However your question is what to use. Soil analysis can tell you a lot. However organic material (the parent to Organic Matter) is a matter of economic. Compost, Peat Humus, reed Sedge Humus, Sphagnum peat moss, sawdust, and manure are all sources of organic material.

In my area the horticulture dump grinds the plants clipping and resells it. I buy it for $ 10.00 loading fee 14 yard loads. I take it back and dump it on the ground and put 46-0-0 on top of it so it composts faster. I also turn it over every now and again to keep air in it. This is a very cheap source of organic material.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:56 AM
Millenium Member

Ztoro,

Your profile is:

ztoro

How are we to give good info if we don't know where you are? Take the time to update your profile and maybe we can give a little more help.....I have no idea where "your desk" is....
Old 11-12-2003, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you read the whole post you will notice in the 4th post I say "I live in New JErsey......"

Therefore "My Desk" is in NJ

Take the time to read my posts...
Old 11-12-2003, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Chad - I have quite a bit of experience with the clay soil you are describing. Fertilizer and lime won't help your situation much. I took 12" of compost and spread it over the clay. I then plowed the compost in ( a roto-tiller would only scratch the surface). This was repeated every year, spring and fall, for 5 years. I also added gypsum every spring. After 5 yrs., this soil is now a very nice clay loam that is easy to work in. I should mention that this was done in an area to make a garden, not a lawn, but the same principal could be done with an existing lawn if the lawn is aerated then topdressed with compost. As TimTurf mentioned, DO NOt and sand to clay - you'll end up with soil as hard as concrete. Once you've added quite a bit of compost to the clay however, you may add some sand. TimTurf, Ric, and GroundKpr are the most knowledgeable on this site when it comes to soils. Follow their advice.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 11-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Millenium Member

Just trying to help...

Quote:
Originally posted by ztoro
if you read the whole post you will notice in the 4th post I say "I live in New JErsey......"

Therefore "My Desk" is in NJ

Take the time to read my posts...
Take a second and fill out the profile correct. I don't have time to sort thru all your post trying to figure out where you are from, I missed the NJ. A quick glance in the profile will let people know and they can help you with your problem. I read your first post and know what your issue is, just wanted to make sure correct advise was given.

However, if you think it's my job to sort thru and find it then, well....keep waiting.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Just trying to help...

Quote:
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
I read your first post and know what your issue is, just wanted to make sure correct advise was given..
are you going to share your expertise or are you mad at me?

Quote:
However, if you think it's my job to sort thru and find it then, well....keep waiting..
I dont think its your job, however seeing how many posts you have I would think you have the time....
Old 11-12-2003, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re: Re: Just trying to help...

Quote:
Originally posted by ztoro
are you going to share your expertise or are you mad at me?

I dont think its your job, however seeing how many posts you have I would think you have the time....

With an attitude like yours, no one will share their expertise.

Ray

Calm your blood pressure this jerk is not worth it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ztoro,

Your profile is:

ztoro

How are we to give good info if we don't know where you are? Take the time to update your profile and maybe we can give a little more help.....I have no idea where "your desk" is....
Your right there was no attitude in this post.....

Thanks Ric.

Read read read... If you dont have anything of value to offer, dont offer anything....

Signed
The Jerk