Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Sponsor

Hi Paul,

Our tech is out of the office today so I will try and help you. I was the tech a few years ago until I changed departments.

The 99-917 Gator Mulcher blade was made for the Snapper Commercial walk behinds. It is NOT a flat blade. There is a drop of a little over 1/4" (.297). The person that said they were using some Bobcat blades has either a different year or model from yours. I don't remember which is more current, but Excel made mowers that used a 5/8" center hole and Bobcat's are also 5/8". From your earlier posts, you have a 1/2" hole which is less common. I have heard of guys successfully doing the stacking you are considering, but we have to advise against it for safety reasons. If you do attempt it, be darn sure the blades clear everything under the deck and check your deck, spindle and blades for any signs of stress or failure on a daily basis and replace as necessary. Keep in mind the extra stress could excellerate wear on the bearings.
Oregon Outdoor Products Group
Old 11-24-2003, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paul,
I'm using the bobcat highlifts, and gators on my 60" Super Z, the blades are 21" long w 5/8 hole.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulJ
What mower are those blades made for? Someone mentioned they were using blades for a Bobcat on their Hustler, but I don't remember the size. Are they a flat blade or do they have the dropped ends? The length is probably close enough to work.
Thanks
Paul,
OK, FWIW, a few years ago I changed the spindles on my old 17/48 WB to the Z style which has a 5/8” bolt hole. Like you I really wanted to run Gator Magnums. This allowed me to do it.
After much experimentation with blades, I settled on the OEM Hustler double highlift blades. The gators really didn’t perform any better, and under wet conditions the Gators just mashed the grass and made clumping worse than with the highlifts. When mulching leaves, the Gators did mulch a bit better, however, they didn’t suck up the leaves as well, and left leaves in the grass. Also, though mulching a bit better, they took more power and really slowed the machine down at times because they mulched finer. IOW, you needed to be careful when running into a big pile of leaves.
However, just running over the leaves a bit more the double HL’s achieved the same results.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks to everyone for your input. Pete, I value your knowledge of the hustlers and what they can do. Maybe I don't need the gators. I did notice that the leaves weren't getting chopped as fine this fall with the hustler using double hustler blades.
On the blades I have there is very little difference betwee the standard and the high lifts. Just a very slightly steaper lift fin.
Do you know if there is an EXTRA SUPER high lift blade or a high lift mulching blade avalilable? I want to look at all the options for next season.
My old mower did best with standard gators over super high lifts. I know the decks are very different but I thought the gators would be worth a try if I could get them.
Thanks again for the help.

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Old 11-25-2003, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your input. Pete, I value your knowledge of the hustlers and what they can do. Maybe I don't need the gators. I did notice that the leaves weren't getting chopped as fine this fall with the hustler using double hustler blades.
On the blades I have there is very little difference betwee the standard and the high lifts. Just a very slightly steaper lift fin.
Do you know if there is an EXTRA SUPER high lift blade or a high lift mulching blade avalilable? I want to look at all the options for next season.
My old mower did best with standard gators over super high lifts. I know the decks are very different but I thought the gators would be worth a try if I could get them.
Thanks again for the help.
Paul,
As I remember, the stock blades have a 30 degree sail and highlifts are 42 degrees. Though they don't look a lot different, if you haven't tried them, there "is" a big difference.
Last, let me call Hustler again. I could swear they offered Gator blades for their WB's.
Pete
Old 11-25-2003, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both the standard and the high lift blades. I didn't notice much of a difference using them as singles.
I was able to get a part hustler part number for gator blades from the hustler forum. Now I just have to call my dealer to see if he can et them and how much$?. Thanks

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Old 11-25-2003, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I have both the standard and the high lift blades. I didn't notice much of a difference using them as singles.
I was able to get a part hustler part number for gator blades from the hustler forum. Now I just have to call my dealer to see if he can et them and how much$?. Thanks
Yeah, I use double highlifts so maybe I notice a bigger difference. Here's the Part number for the gators.
48" Decks - 17" Blade is 779330
37" & 54" Decks - 19" Blade is 779348
I think they're only about $12/$13 a piece.
Good luck,
Pete