Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2003, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you markup your plants, trees, etc.

I'm just wondering how much you guys markup your plants, trees, shrubs, etc. when you sell them to customers.

What do you tell your customer when you come to thier property and sell them a plant for 50% (or however much you mark them up) more than they could go buy them for themselves???

This doesn't make much sense to me...it just seems like you are ripping off the customer. I can see maybe a 10% or 20% markup because you do spend time buying, and transporting the plants, but I know of some companies who mark plants up by 100%? I don't get how they stay in business.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Let it grow

A) You go and select best plant for client - for us three hours

B) You profesionanly plant said plant

C) You garantee plant for X amount of years

D) 50% as you bid will cost you your shirt, house,car etc

E) PRO's charge 200-300 markup plus planting

Kevin
Old 11-03-2003, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Plenty. The mark up includes all the time needed for plant selection, pick-up, and delivery.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

It (profit) all comes down to what YOU pay for said plants. Personally, I use wholesale nurseries, who only sell to landscapers. THIS is how you mark up 100% and more on some. I can buy, plant, fert., and garantee a plant for a year for the price Joe Homeowner could pick up the plant at local plant store. I get 15'+ Cleveland Select Pear trees ( for example) for $65.00, B8B'd. I can sell them with an install for $300 each. At least. Go to where the plants are cheap, not where everyone else shops.

~Nest
Old 11-03-2003, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

This has come up before. Percentages are misleading, everybody has different ways of pricing what they sell. All that should matter to the customer is, what are they getting for what TOTAL price. It doesnt make a difference if that price derived from simply a percentage of the total material cost, or plant markups plus labor, or however. Also, some people base their pricing on what they pay wholesale, and some on full the full retail price that the average Joe would pay at the local nursery.

When I started out, I simply double my total material cost. In other words, whatever the material cost was, that was also my profit. That is a pretty common way of doing it in my area, mostly by people starting out, or LCO who mainly do maintenance. I have since developed a pricing method that works for me now that experience has told me how much I need to make on each aspect of what I do. Others may not think much of my method, I really dont care, and neither should anyone else. Nor should the customer. The method of pricing doesnt rip him off, his inability to compare services and coresponding prices might, though. But thats his problem.

Bryan
Old 11-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Banned

I double the price on all plants that i purchase then add labor and freight charges to pick them up and plant.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kevintree...

1) I never said I had a 50% markup...that was just a random figure to use for an example.

2) I don't lose my shirt or anything else on my plantings or any of my other services.

I see what I am missing...there aren't any wholesale nurseries real close to my area. I can see how you can markup wholesale costs by so much...that makes sense.

Do you guys have a certain amount that the nursery makes you buy, or can you just buy as you need?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Mine is buy as I need. I can get 3 trees, or 600 plants. I've never left my nursery without getting something for free also. They always show me new stuff and ask if I like it, then say "Take it!" They also deliver, and will have my order ready for pick up if I want to pick it up. They also have someone load it for me. I love them! lol
Old 11-04-2003, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

That is how we do it in TN because we have so many nurseries not far from us. Their prices allow us to mark up the plant, and the customers does not realize that it is a mark up. We also can buy as much or as little as we want. The only problem with ours is most are ran by Mexicans, and it is really hard to understand them.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think Kevin put it pretty well. I just give the customer a total price. I dont say well Mr. So and So, it will cost you $30.00 for this plant and another $15.00 to plant it. If you do then he may compare cost to Lowes or someone else. But tell him $ 45.00 and your done. It covers all of your costs plus warranty and profit.