Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-20-2000, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

When you are mowing and you are taking time to blow leaves off driveway and blow off the lawn do you charge extra or is it common courtesy. Because it is taking roughly 20-30 min extra on some houses.
Just wondering about this
Old 10-20-2000, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I keep track of the extra time but for the most part if I am truly mowing lawn they still get billed the regular amount. The grass really slows down now so any mowing is really a plus.

The customers that sign up for the fall clean get the real full service. Once the grass quits growing I still show up every week to pick up leaves with a full clean out for the last stop for the year. I try to figure 4 to 6x the weekly mowing fee for the final clean which includes my extra time during the previous weeks. It works alright because I only clean about 12 of 24 weekly customers.

I know its a little confusing but I seem to do o.k.
Old 10-20-2000, 09:20 PM
Banned

I'm with Mow Ed. There are a few transition weeks where there is mowing and light leaves,but most of them can be mowed. Also, weedwacking time is reduced or eliminated on well maintained homes by now (on Long Island anyway) and I ease off the flower beds so it balances out. Then, when leaves are heavy you don't mow so spend that time cleaning leaves each week instead, at least off the turf. After Thanksgiving I start fall clean ups and go until Christmas cleaning gutters last (yeah,say what you will ya babies, but it's easy $ and I'm already there (won't do three story houses). I charge about 6-8x the weekly maint fee, but it includes the spot seeding if needed in Sept. as well as a light winter fert. app. (Don't want too much N in the spring).
Old 10-20-2000, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Talking

I went to an hourly rate this year to cover the extra time caused by rain days, toys and garden tools left in my way to be picked up and the leaves in the fall. I only have two customers that are up set with the extra charge and one of them bought a 68 Vett in mint condition.
Old 10-20-2000, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

on my residental contracts i get paid $$$ per month year round and they get 40-45 services per year its never too bad
and with the addion of the walker this year its going to be record time compared to years in the past..I hate leaves...but i ilke the money non regular customers pay real good if i clean thier 2 months mess ,,in most cases their better off paying me to stop by at least every other week they would save some $$$
Old 10-21-2000, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I usually blow leafs off driveways, sidewalks and decks after cutting. I don't charge extra for this, because with the right equipment, it does not take that much extra time. While I'm cutting, I use the DC to blow leaves of lawns. I direct them to the street or the beds. Then when we do are clean up we blow them out and pick them up.

I think doing this extra step, without charging everytime you do something different makes your service stand out over and above other lawn services.
Old 10-21-2000, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Blow First

If the leaves are that bad and your not doing a fall cleanup then blow the leaves onto the lawn then mow the lawn. Using a mulching blade or even bagging will say you more time...20 minutes to blow of driveway and sidewalks is too much time..what kind of blower are you using?
Old 10-21-2000, 01:50 AM
Millenium Member

Thumbs up

I used double Gator blades today and did not pick up a leaf. Didn't want to use high-lift due to newly seeded lawns.

Ray
Old 10-21-2000, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Member

You need to think of this before you bid on the job. Unless they pay you real good for your services and you are just willing to just do the extra work to make them feel like your doing a all around professial job and only if they were paying good I would not worry about it.
Old 10-21-2000, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Twenty added minutes to spend blowing leaves off the sidewalk and drive is too much for me! This time of year, twenty minutes after I left it would look like it did when I first got there to mow!