Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-09-2003, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

question about lawn installtion.

i been in the lawn mowing business for about 11 years now.
i been mowing and doing light duty scaping as a part time job.
there is alot of new houses being built in my area and i want to get into installing new lawns.
i been checking out the kubota 37 hp 4+4 with front end loader and the harley power rakes. is this a good combo?
most of these lots are 1/2 acre plus.
when the lawn guys do the figuring on the job do they figure by the square footage?
and if so what is the ball park figure installing the lawns?
i know some lawns will need grading and top soil in places.
i was just curious what the price should be with seed and fertilizer and power raking.
any info will be a plus and thanks for your time,jeff
Old 11-10-2003, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a john deere 35 horse and a harley rake behind it for grading and use a brillion seeder for seeding with straw and sub out the hydroseeding. I usually do abour 15000 square feet up to about a 2 acre lot. This system has been spectacular for me. We charge sixteen cents per square foot to grade and seed. six cents more per square foot if they want hydroseeding. I pay the sub five cents per square foot to do it. Make sure you use a quality grass seed and a high nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizer. We use spartan grade A grass seed. has like kentucky blue and rye glass mixture. Fertilizer we use 18-24-12. hope that helps a little
Old 11-11-2003, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply.and yes this helps out alot and thank you.
im ready to set this end of this business up and do some advertising.and go shopping.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to be doing these installations for the builder or the home owner?
Old 11-16-2003, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

sorry about the delay in the question you asked rustic goat,been real busy with fall clean- ups.
im gonna target new homes and do renovations to old lawns.
but i heard and been reading through the forums here that the contractors are a real pain the arse to deal with.but thats ok with me i like a challenge to a certain degree.
im gonna run a 1/2 page ad in the yellow pages when it comes time to do so.i hope theis gonna start off on the right foot because the cost to start up is gonna be costly.
i just recieved my video from glenmac the makers of harley power box rake.wow what a tool, this thing is awesome.
one man operation,they say you can do a acre of ground in under 2 hours thats grade and ready to seed.
its a really great video to get if your thinking about installing lawns.
so now i have a question,do i have to have a liscense to install lawns?
is there a site that has a listing of the liscense to have when dealing with lawns?
Old 11-16-2003, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lisc, are required by city, the trouble is every city you work in may require a lisc. its not state or fed. I have a set up pretty much the same as your talking about but I added a pulverizer a few yrs ago and we always run it first, It gives us 5 inches of loose soil that we only need to rake then and it saves a couple hrs on each job. I charge 13 cents and up for prep and seed the more things to work around and the more rocks and debris in the soil the more I charge. All prices are based on the size of the lot. You will have owners tell you they have X amount of sq. ft. minus the house and drive and deck etc. Those are the places you will spend the most time working. Plus I charge a hauling fee if I can't find a place nearby to dump. [try to get the new homes with no houses on each side, then its balls to the wall tractor work] hope this can help

Mac