Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2003, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Thoughts on Scott's 5 step

Newbie here. I just want some input regarding Scotts 5 step program in the midwest region. Chicago and morthwest Indiana to be more precise. I use it on my lawn and am going to push it (introduce it) to my customers this year as an added service. All I have been providing thus far has been cutting and edging. Any / all help will be greatly appreciated. I did a search on Scott's and was inundated with results. I weeded through about twenty or so but didn't find any pertinent answers.

Thank you in advance
Old 11-10-2003, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Plan on being licensed to apply fetilizer, even though it's just Scott's brand fertilizer it has a pre-emergent in several of the steps that require you to be licensed to apply.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Too expensive and too much urea...
Old 11-10-2003, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wells
Plan on being licensed to apply fetilizer, even though it's just Scott's brand fertilizer it has a pre-emergent in several of the steps that require you to be licensed to apply.
Then how come a homeowner can apply it to his/her lawn without a license? Again, I am new here and to the fertilizer side of the business.

How would I go about getting licensed?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Plow Meister
Then how come a homeowner can apply it to his/her lawn without a license?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because it's your lawn. You can do just about anything you want to your own lawn.

but start messing around with someone else's lawn and property and that a completly different situation.

It's the same reason that a home owner doesn't need insurance to cut his own lawn. If you were to mess up your yard , break sprinkler heads, and miss diagnose a fungase that kills the grass, not a big deal, but do that with a client and you've got problems.

The State basically wants you to be aware what it is your applying , how to apply it correctly and the the dangers that can be associated with pre-emergents. (ie: water supplies, children, etc)

Check with your local State Agriculture division to find out exactly what is required. In my state a license consists of a 100 question test after which you are certified for three years.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
not enough potash
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 11-10-2003, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Plow,
Old 11-10-2003, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

PLow
I also bought the Scotts 5 step program. I did half my lawn with Scotts & the other half with Lesco products. Boy what a difference. If you have a Lesco near you go with there products, I have an excellent service rep in my area so I am fortunate. I was thinking of offering the fert & pest myself. Please as everyone has told you dont take the chance with someone's lawn without being certified. Good Luck.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plow, The Five step program is just a basic plan. One thing it lacks is spot treating or spraying for weeds. Grandule applied at the right time will be effective, but you must get good leaf cover. Also, remember Scott's want the Grass to grow really fast, they want you to see a difference just as soon as it is applied. therefore the common home owner thinks they are really getting results. The pit fall is the grass may appear healthly beacuse of shoot growth, but lacks the deep roots needed in the midwest. you need to get just like eveyone else had advised you must get certified. In IN you call the office of the Indiana State Chemist. Contact them and they can direct you to right source. Once you have the knowledge then you can offer custom programs for the different grasses.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's an amateur program. Take the time to take some courses and learn some basic agronomy. What are you going to do when the 5 step doesn't solve all the problems? People are willing to let stuff slide when they do it themselves but are going to be picky if they are paying you to do it.