Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2003, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Web Site for start-up

OK,.. I did scan the 1st four pages of this forum. I did not find the answer to my question, so I feel safe to ask it.

I feel that the cost in money and time for a web site my first season (as part time) is unnecessary.

I know a Web Site is worth the money in the long run. But my question has to do with setting it up at the begining of a part time startup biz..

It's kind of the same question I have to answer in other areas of financing. Wants vs. Needs. I WANT a new crew cab diesel. (I know I will have to have one in the future) But I can only AFFORD a 2nd hand reg cab gas truck to fix-up right now.

So, how many of you STARTED your biz w/a web site? If not, what season did you finally set one up- or would advise a start-up biz to wait to set one up?

Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

"We make your lawn stand out from the rest"
Old 11-12-2003, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never done this web stuff. I found that it really is not as hard as it seems. I've been working on mine now for months. I'm not sure it ever really gets done.

I've seen several cases from where having a web presence will seperate you from the others.

I did most of my web pages in the evening when I was not out in the field.

I have not yet got an estimate yet however people have been checking it out from yahoo's search engine.

I'm sure some others who have been around for awhile could give you more pointers than I. I've enjoyed doing this and I found out I may have saved my company $3,000.

I use front page and I know that many do not like it, but I don't write web pages for a living.

Web hosting is rather inexpensive now days.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Web hosting for free

Web hosting for free
www.1and1.com
:blob3: :blob4: :blob3: :blob4:
Old 12-03-2003, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think web sites are a good thing to have, but they are not going to be a naccesity in your first season. you said you are only working part time too so i don't think you really need one. We use ours manly to show the work that we have done and extra services that we offer. Ours was not put up untill are 3 or 4th year in business. It helps make you business look more established and professional as long as the site is done well and easy to get around. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-03-2003, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We put up the website our first year out. Its nice to put with other advertising like yellow pages and newspaper ads. Makes you look professional. The best thing about a website is for our flyers. They can read our flier the go on our website to see some work we have done and read a little bit about us. I have always made my own. Doesnt look as great as others, but it gets the job done. Always tryin to improve it. You can get your domain name for only 8 bucks a month. Its a cheap advertisement really.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had my site about a year and a half. I've been in business form 1988 until then without one.

One pruning service that is booked up three times farther than I am, has no site, and may never need one.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-16-2003, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

web Sites

New Leaf,

You mentioned you could get your domain name for only 8 bucks a month. I am not sure if that was a typo or if you mean with hosting. I get my domain names for $ 7.95 a year.

The .com names are going to get harder to get. I think you will start seeing more of the .us. .ws endings. You can still get some cool domains with the other endings. I receintly bought www.lawns.ws and www.sprayers.us and www.hydroseeding.ws and some others.

There are lots of places where you can get a free webiste but you won't get a good address and may have a lot of advertising. I don't think it is imperative to have a website from the start of a business, but I think as time goes by it will be more and more important and it is possible to get a lot of business from the internet.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Turboguy,

Do you have all those domains forward to your business website?
Old 12-18-2003, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

forwarding

Hi Gopher,

Yes, generally. It depends on what I want to do with the domains. For example my main sprayer site is www.turfsprayers.com I also have www.treesprayers.com and www.sprayers.us and the domains cost me $ 7.95 a year with free forwarding. So the other sprayer sites just point to the main one and the small amount it costs me is worth it for advertising.

I bought a couple just because they seemed like good names. for example lawns.ws and lawn-seeding.com I really don't know what I want to do with them but they seem like they could be worth having. I have a few that I plan to develop in the future. for example www.hydroseedingsupplies.com

I actually have 6 business websites. Two of those are run just as a service to our customers. Then there is one for our seeders, one for our sprayers one for out straw blowers and one for our anti icing stuff.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

8 dollars a month but that includes the domain website hosting with no pop up adds or other advertisements. A ton of disk space on the host ten email adresses along with really high bandwith and a bunch of other the junk that I have no clue what it is even for. and its frontpage ready so all I have to do is click publish. If you are getting all that for eight bucks a year then let me know where you are getting it from cause that sounds like a hell of a deal.