Register free!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Subscribed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Again,,, I would definately not make any claims about the herbicidal qualities of CGM until I've seen it work in the environments I'm expecting it to work in...
As a Lawncare Professional that puts his/her reputation on the line on a daily basis,,, I don't like the idea of 50-60% success against CG, anymore than I accept a 50-60% plant survival success rate in creating beds and orchards...

The N rate for each dollar is a valid consideration in balancing your business decisions on what you're willing to invest in... some investments payoff and others create bad money issues along with a bad rep... best advice is to invest cautiously...
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgphillips View Post
Any idea what the price are today or if there is any place near Center Valley PA that sale it?
Like Smallaxe said, call your local co-op to get a price. Another thing to remember is the CGM needs to be at least 60% protein to get the herbicidal properties from the material.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
It's about $33.00/50 lb bag when sold by the pallet.

When used as a pre-emergent it should be applied at 20lbs./k.
Comparing the amount of N with Milroganite is apples to oranges as Milorganiite has no herbicidal properties.

That being said, do not compare the effectiveness of corn meal with chemical herbicides. A successful organic lawn care program involves more than just switching products.
It is still available in MN for $20 per 50# bag.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
It's about $33.00/50 lb bag when sold by the pallet.

When used as a pre-emergent it should be applied at 20lbs./k.
Comparing the amount of N with Milroganite is apples to oranges as Milorganiite has no herbicidal properties.

That being said, do not compare the effectiveness of corn meal with chemical herbicides. A successful organic lawn care program involves more than just switching products.
When using CGM at rates high enough to suppress crabgrass populations, you are applying about 6# N/M. How does that compare to N needs and recommendations for cool season turf? Can you say 'over-fertilization'?

Milorganite (and other biosolids) contain high amounts of heavy metals that can be toxic to pets, fish, and people. I've seen so many dogs get sick, visit the vet, and die from eating Milorganite applications that I won't use it anymore. Most biosolids also contain phosphorus, which you can't apply in many states.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm just not very impressed with Milorganite as a fert. It's spendy and I have had much better long lasting performance with organic based bridge products in clients lawns and my own lawn which is a testing area for products I use.

Treated sewage sludge I can buy here 2 different types for top dressing is EPA certified safe but I can not in good conscience use it in my garden for vegetables etc. Sorry organic at heart and I don't trust it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Milorganite was just an example for a cost per pound of N comparison with CGM becuz an LCO needs to have results for the least amount of cash... Since results with the "Herbicidal Qualities" are not at professional standards(50-60% less CG), it is important to at least have N along with OM to justify the expense...

Milorganite is not full of heavy metals but has added iron that is cheaper per pound than the Ironite name brand...

Organic ferts containing P are exempt from the P ban in our state, which focusses on surface waters...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
When using CGM at rates high enough to suppress crabgrass populations, you are applying about 6# N/M. How does that compare to N needs and recommendations for cool season turf? Can you say 'over-fertilization'?
And we have yet another set of made up skip numbers. The recommended rate is 20 lbs/1000 when used as a preemergent. CGM is typically 9-10% N, which leaves us with N application rate of 1.8 - 2.0 lbs/1000, which is easily within any cool or warm season turf needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Milorganite (and other biosolids) contain high amounts of heavy metals that can be toxic to pets, fish, and people. I've seen so many dogs get sick, visit the vet, and die from eating Milorganite applications that I won't use it anymore. Most biosolids also contain phosphorus, which you can't apply in many states.
Care to provide a comprehensive list of toxic heavy metals that can be found in Milorganite along with the LD-50 for each? You can start with the MSDS, which by law must include information on these toxic metals.

http://www.milorganite.com/en/Retail...ro%206-2-0.pdf
Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Forget that, too many people don't tell the truth these days to take anyones word. Have it tested yourself. And beyond that what was the process of eliminating the heavy metals in biosolids to begin with. Then where was that disposed at?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I love the california part.