Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2000, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an '87 3/4 ton chevy truck. The red Parking Brake Light comes on when the regular brake is applied fairly hard during driving. It will stay on for a while after this. I can sometimes turn it off by stopping again and pressing the brake again. Maybe it is just a fluke. Sometimes there is nothing I can do to shut it off. The light does still come on when I put the emergency brake on. The contact on the emergency brake pedal seems to be fine. What could possibly be causing this? Any help to get rid of this nuisance would be appreciated.
Old 10-21-2000, 09:12 PM

Is there a seperate parking brake light or just one that covers both parking brake and brake failure? That going out when you apply the brakes again sounds like the brake failure light resetting itself.
Old 10-23-2000, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

pull the plug

I had the same problem with my 85 GMC. Like the last post said is it the same for both the parking brake and emergency brake? I was told by a mechanic/friend of the family to just pull the plug on that emergency light if its really not functioning correctly...which I did because I had pleanty of brake fluid and my brakes worked fine. This plug on my 85 was right around the steering box close to the firewall and down against the frame...small thin wire with a short cylinder like plug....hope thats of any help....