Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2003, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Eastern NC Trailers

I am new to the business and am looking for a trailer. I believe what I whant is a dual axel 6X16 open trailer. Does this sound good? Any good independant dealers in NC?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-16-2003, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good size to start with, have you given any consideration for a Cab-Over lanscape bed truck. They are so much easier to get from job to job in. Turn arounds are a breeze. You can normally find a good used one at a local dealer for under $10,000 and it is WELL WORTH IT.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

TLC is right a cabover is the way to go. but since budget is the main issue just sarting out. The place that I have found that has the best prices on open trailers is a place called pineview enterprises. they are located on hwy 74 East, just outside of Maxton NC. they sell 6x12's for like $875. Then he has 7x16's for like 1250 or 1300, that trailer includes a 3 place lockable trimmer rack and maybe a water cooler, and hose reel. This tralier has dual 3500 lb axles, split rear 5 ft gate. very sturdy built. hope this helps. the phone number there is 910-844-3799. That place is like 15 minutes from me if you want me to go by there and check availability of other traliers. he probably has 100 trailer or more on the lot. by the way what are plannig on pulling your trailer with? good luck
Old 11-17-2003, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thaks for the help Hustlinfireman. They sound like great trailers for very good prices. I will be towing with a 98 toyota tacome 3.4L V6. Do you think it will be able to hadle a large dual axle trailer.

thanks again
Old 11-18-2003, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Currituck, my question for you is you said that you are just starting out. how much equipment do you plan to purchase and how much do you plan to carry at one time. The reason I ask, I am trying to find out your justification for the added expense and and weight of a larger trailer. I have been in the business many years part time with other companies. but this season was my first own my own. I initially purchased a 6 1/2 x 12 open single axle trailer. this trailler is great it has a large gate on the rear and a large side gate. this side gate is great, I do not have to take my ztr off to get to my push mowers. i have installed racks on the rails and have plenty of floor space for 2 ztr's and push mower. Or i have enough room for 1 ztr and walk behind and push mower. with out being over cramped. I pull this with a 2000 jeep cherokee with a 4.0l staright 6 . it runs highway speed with no problems. You ask do I think that your yota will pull a large trailer. Yes I think that it will but overall performance may lack. plus pulling a loaded trailer with a little truck gas mileage sucks. I hope this gave you some ideas.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, it is interesting that you mentioned Pineview Enterprises. Before I got into this biz, I used to do insurance audits and I visited that place several years ago. They took me through the whole process. Very clean and effecient operation.

When I first got into this business, I went trailor shopping. My first stop was at a Leonard's truck supply. The prices were way too high. Then it dawned on me that I see trailors for sale all over the place. I didn't even realize that my neighbor wanted to sell his and he even helped me replace the planks. A wire brush, paint and lumber and it's good to go. A new light kit, title and plate all for less than $600 on a 6x12. My next trailor will be dual axle with brakes, but I am happy with what I have for now.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustlinfireman, the reason I am looking at such big trailer is most threads on this site say you should buy a large trailer to start with. That way you do not have to get another later on down the road when you get more equipment. Another reason is I do some tree work and have to haul away alot of debri. I would also like to get into mulching, I think a trailer that size would be more beneficial in the long run. thanks for the feedback
Old 11-19-2003, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

you had better get trailer breaks it will help the life of your truck. And put the truck in drive not overdrive when pulling the trailer. Remember to drive slower because it will take you more time to stop. is your truck a 4x4 geared lower.