Register free!

Old 11-15-2003, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Can I put down 1.5lbs/1000 of 46-0-0 in the rain?

This is my first year using the 46-0-0 as a winterizer. I'm a little fearful of the high amount of N that will be released in the rain. Shall I wait till it dries out? I've heard that sometimes there's a risk applying fert with quick release N to wet turf during the growing season.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

with the cool temps you should be ok. The problem w/ doing it in the rain is that the spreader like to clog and build up on the paddle. The stuff gets gooy with any moisture and slowly builds up around the exit holes and paddles. You will have to empty out the spread often and clean away the mess. You would be better to wait until it stops raining for a day.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What percent of that N source is quick release? Most slow release N's are going to be useless at this time of year because they need warmer temps and moisture to break down and become available to turf. If mostly quick release N source, you risk burning turf at rates over 1 Lb. per 1,000 sq.ft.

jim
Old 11-15-2003, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lawnstudent
What percent of that N source is quick release? Most slow release N's are going to be useless at this time of year because they need warmer temps and moisture to break down and become available to turf. If mostly quick release N source, you risk burning turf at rates over 1 Lb. per 1,000 sq.ft.

jim
46-0-0 is all quick release, the highest possible straight nitrogen slow release is a 39-0-0. At his time of year about the only way you will burn something is to seriously over apply or spill it. Applying 46-0-0 in a spreader while raining is not much different than spraying it. You can do either at 2lbs of N per 1000 or less with no burning.