Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2003, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

commercial mower

I am 2 l/2 years in the lawn business using a big fat stupid rider Snapper w/bagger, Husqavarna rider and Toro push recycler w/bagger. I finally realized I need a commercial mower as I have 40 residential yards. I'd like to hear about the Hustler Mini Z w/44" deck and thoughts on the Quickshoot attachment. My mind is pretty much made up about the purchase but would love to hear comments pro and con. Thanks
Barbz
Old 11-15-2003, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a Hustler dealer, so this could sound biased. But, we have been selling equipment for 30 years. I have been in the industry for over 15.

Bar none- the Hustler is a fantastic Z. Durability is great, construction of the unit is phenomenal. Their choice of engines is good. The company is great to work with.

You might want to check out the mini-z though. A little quicker, and better for commercial cutters.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the instant reply-this is really fun!! Just a little confused-you say to check out the mini-Z is there a different model, as I am looking at the Mini-Z with a 44" deck. What about the Quickshoot-is that an overkill? I don't want to blow debris all over plant beds etc but I've been told the blades move so fast that it chops everything up so fine anyway.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

think about geting a 36'' so you can get in back yards. whats 8'' from 44'' to 36'' with the 36 you can get in the hard to reach place and you can get in to back yards.

~Tim~
Old 11-16-2003, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

A 36" walk-behind would be a good consideration. The ability to get through a gate with a fast mower is a real asset. I used a 30" Snapper rider for a few years, in the back yards with small gates. I bought a 36" walk behind earlier this year and I wish I had done it sooner. I have a 61" Z but that 36" wb is awsome. It leaves the flattest and smoothest cut. I have a few accounts that are next to yards that were cut with small lawn tractors. The finish is far better on mine than on the others.

95 Ford F150
16 foot tandem trailer
2001 Scag Turf Tiger 61"
1987 John Deere walk behind 48" with Velkye
2003 Scag SW walk behind 36" with Jungle wheels
2001 Billy Goat vacuum
Shindiawa T230 trimmer
Echo trimmer 230
Stihl stick edger
Stihl backpack blower
Old 11-16-2003, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Say Mow!
Just a little confused-you say to check out the mini-Z is there a different model, as I am looking at the Mini-Z with a 44" deck.
Yes,
There is a Super Mini Z, larger pumps, engine and faster ground speed.
It would make quick work of those residentials with a lot of trimming and tight areas to work in.
A Qwikchute, will help you in many situations, flower beds, roads, cars, people....etc....etc...Keeping grass out of these areas and stopping the potential of flying debris in public areas is well worth the investment.

Later
Pj
Old 11-16-2003, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased the 44" Mini-Z a few months ago to replace my 48" Scag. I only do this part time and debated whether I needed it or not. I was getting beat up by my Scag (belt drive) because it is such a tank and I was exhausted after a day of cutting. I also hated the belt drive. With all the wet weather we were having earler in the season, after 2 lawns I was pushing it due to belt slippage.

Here's my review on the Mini-Z compared to a WB:

1. Gates are not a problem (yet). I zip through everything......but I'm in the market for a 36" WB just "in case" I get an account with a small gate. But if you're getting your rider through, you'll have no problem with this mower. The deck size is the greatest feature.

2. Power: In my opinion, this 19hp Kawi is overkill. My first week of owning the Mini-Z I picked up 2 half acre lawns that hadn't been cut in 3 weeks. These were thick beautiful lawns. I zipped through them without a wimper from the engine. I double cut each of those lawn and it looked like I bagged them. Honestly. The grass dispurses evenly from the deck without clumping. My 14hp Scag use to bog in heavy grass like this.

3. Time: You'll be amazed how much time a ZTR will save over a rider. I ran my Scag in 4th gear with a sulky on larger lawns. With the Mini-Z, I can buzz right along at a faster pace, but I'm still getting the hang out of turning so I lose a little time.

4. Quality: I narrowed my choice down to the Toro and the Hustler. My dealer had both sitting on the floor side by side. There is no doubt the Hustler was made better. Frame, deck, you name it... maybe it's just me, but the other ZTR's looked like they have so many more parts to them where the Hustler has fewer. The deck height adjustment is perfect and simple. The foot operated deck lift is simple and the daily maintenance seems non existent for me. I think it has 7 zerk fittings.

Dislikes:
1. The dealer network in my area isn't the greatest. I called one place listed on Hustler's site when I was looking for a bag and the guy laughed and said he wouldn't carry Hustlers anymore since the parts can take a week or 2 to get. He said Hustler needs to get on the bandwagon with Toro and Exmark in guaranteed delivery times. He said he would have machines sitting in the shop for a week waiting to be fixed. That scared me a lot since I have so many Toro dealers around me.

But on the other hand, my dealer stocks a lot of parts.

2. The drive tire size is smaller than the other ZTR's. I was getting a lot of divots and was told part of the reason was because the rear tires needed to be larger. I think operator error is just as much to blame as tire size IMHO.

3. I have yet to find an online company that sells replacement parts. I use to save a lot of many buying aftermarket Scag parts such as blades and belts.

4. The bagging system Hustler offers is way overpriced.

5. The deck isn't as deep as the other models so you won't get as much of a "vacuuming effect".

6. I can't find enough grass to cut.

As for the Quickshoot attachment....what is it?

Just for comparison, I think I paid $5750 for mine in NJ not including tax. Hustler had a lot of incentives at the time.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

[
2. The drive tire size is smaller than the other ZTR's. I was getting a lot of divots and was told part of the reason was because the rear tires needed to be larger. I think operator error is just as much to blame as tire size IMHO.

[/B][/QUOTE]

You need to learn what is commonly called a "K" turn.
As you are getting to the end of your line, you start your turn. Then you stop. Then you back up in a cresent shape. Then you finish your turn as you straighten up on your next line. This is the shape of a K when you understand it. I will try to get you a link to a better description, I know that mine is kinda lame. The key thing to remember is to keep your wheels moving. Do not stop and pivot. As your tires wear a little the tearing will lessen also.

95 Ford F150
16 foot tandem trailer
2001 Scag Turf Tiger 61"
2001 Billy Goat vacuum
Shindiawa T230 trimmer
Echo trimmer 230
Stihl stick edger
Stihl backpack blower
Old 11-18-2003, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?...=three+AND+turn

check out the thread above and you will see a diagram of what I was trying to explain.

95 Ford F150
16 foot tandem trailer
2001 Scag Turf Tiger 61"
2001 Billy Goat vacuum
Shindiawa T230 trimmer
Echo trimmer 230
Stihl stick edger
Stihl backpack blower
Old 11-18-2003, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Mini Z

A big thanks to everyone for your professional responses and input. Today I purchased the 44" Mini Z w/Quickshoot attachment (this is like a mulcher-it covers the shoot so debris stays under the unit) It took me over 10 minutes to drive it on the trailer and another 15 to back it off. So SCARY!! I still need about a week of solid mowing before I'll get the hand of it. I noticed it bounced a lot-is this normal? Also, about how long will two full gas tanks go? Anything else anyone can think of please pass it along.