Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2003, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there seasonal insurance?

I'm just wondering, those of you who do not do any landscape work at all in the winter, do you continue to carry your liability and property damage insurance year round? I tried to talk my insurance company into a seasonal policy but that didn't work. Now as a licensed contractor I'm required to be bonded and carry insurance year round, even though I may not be doing any landscape work at all during the winter. Has anyone heard of any insurance company providing seasonal insurance? And, the real kicker, seasonal insurance carried through an annual policy?
Old 11-18-2003, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

What if it caught on fire, or if someone stole it then you would be screwed.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Also, if you drop the insurance during the offseason thinking it may save you some money, the next year you will find it harder to get an underwriter to write out a new policy. Which in turn will cost more money.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Critical Care,

Here is a post from this site.

"CONSIDERING SEASONALITY. Of course, not all green industry companies are doing business in the southern portion of the country, and therefore many do not serve customers year round. This might seem to pose a coverage dilemma, but the consensus seems to be that insurance coverage should extend through the year, no matter how many months a business is out of season.

“Companies will not write a policy just for the couple of months that the business is in season,” Botson noted. “A company should have coverage for all 12 months.”

“There is a basic level of coverage required all year long for a business because you never know when you are going to be sued,” Weisburger explained. “You don’t know when the claim is going to arise.” "
Old 11-18-2003, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya I would definitly not drop insurance for the winter. If anything, that is prime time where things could get stolen. People will notice your not around the shop as much. Also since you arent checking on the stuff better chance for fires and such. Dont drop the insurance just so you can save a hundred bucks, that would be very stuipid.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh huh... you guys bring up some good points. It is true that these underwriters don't want to write up new policies annually, but with as many seasonal companies as there are out there you would think that some insurance companies might target the market. My biggest concern was the LIPD insurance during these off periods, more so than equipment coverage which I also carry. Actually, I think my homeowners insurance would partially cover any loss of the equipment due to a fire, as long as the equipment is stored on the property. Thanks guys for your input.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been trying to figure this out for a few yrs and finally found an agent that looked at my policy, compared it to a few others and came up with am anwser that made sense to me. Your insurence is rated at 12 months only for payments. IE if you pay$1200 yr and they know you only work 8 months its just easier for them to make it into 12 payments, oh you still have ins. when your not using it and they know it. And if they only charged you for the 8 you work it would still be $1200 just more per month.