Register free!

Old 11-23-2003, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

totaly organic

Do you all think there are enough homeowners and commercial clients?
To go totaly organic. And support a new business.

My carpet cleaning businesss will keep me going until it takes off.

What opinions do you have?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'totally' organic, but i think there is a market for it...or you just have to create a market for it.

My results using corn this season have been good. i have one customer who wants to give it a try next year. Word of mouth will do the the rest. i dont expect it to 'take off' right away. THese things take time.

i think the secret is to keep it simple.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2003, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Dave, What I mean. No synthetic fertilizers or pesticides.

I want to fertilize with all natural and safe products. Such as corn,kelp,molasses....

Kyle
Old 11-23-2003, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

But what about the weeds??
That is the first question people ask me....I got the funniest look from one lady when i told her to 'ignore them'.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i am trying to do more organic lawn care and i am always looking 4 more info it seems that there are varying levels of organic lawn care or all natural everyone has a different opinion i have had trouble signing up people when they see the price and the fact they will have weeds
Old 11-24-2003, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I quit fertilizing with synthetics 2 years ago. I have very few weeds. The grass is growing so good it chockes out the weeds.

Of course i understand 2 to 3 years is what it takes. To wean your lawn off of the drugs lol.

I also understand at this time organic is not for evryone.

Kyle.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
i have had trouble signing up people when they see the price and the fact they will have weeds
I cant see how the price for 'totally organic' could be a deterrent.
i can buy 40kg of rolled corn for 8.95...On a 3000sqft property thats enough for three applications at 10lbs/1000sqft. I could spread it in 10 minutes or less.
For example...Suppose you charge $25 per application...that 75 bucks total for the season.
so your cost for the corn is 8.95 + 30 minutes work...
maybe 25 is too low..im not sure.
I'm not sure what the going price for synthetic application is , but i'm sure a 'totally organic' program would be competitive.

As far as the weeds are concerned, in the short term a weed problem wont get any worse using organics, but in the long the weeds will get choked out. As Zimm said probably a couple of seasons.
I wonder too if rural folk would be more tolerant of some weeds than city folk would?
Old 11-27-2003, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.bmgcssi.com/golf/

woody, i ment to give you this link to an organic golf course here in B.C. . posting it here for others to have if interested.
i am a member of the Society of Organic Urban Landcare professionals and she spoke at a meeting.

I sell organic fertilizer programs (5 apps) and best cultural practices (aeration, over-seeding and lime if nec) to give people great chemical free lawns.

My biggest problem is that i have a cost savings in not being licenced to apply pesticides but without a decent exemption list by the Govt of Canada i cant sell Corn Gluten meal as organic weed and feed or use Horticultural Vinegar to spot spray weeds. I therefore have to offer hand weeding for the few weeds i do get. Also , there may finally be comming to market a spreader which will spread compost as a topdressing for small residential lawns.

I pay 16 dollars a bag for Milorganite and 20 dollars a bag for alfalfa based 8-3-3
Old 12-02-2003, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
organic is anything that contains carbon, so uf, and urea, which are both produce sythetic is an organic, chemical definition

I assume you are talking about a natural organic product, that is something that was living at on time!

plants don't know the difference between a sythetic or a natural organic, BUT the soil organism DUE

I have found it impossible to be on a totally natural organic program and deliver the proper amounts of p2o5 and potash, let alone control weeds in an acceptable manner.

I like to use fortified natural organic fertiler, usually custom blended, but stilly @ 50 to 70% natural organic material

best of both worlds
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 12-02-2003, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey tim,
Do you custom blend the organics, P2O5, and K20 yourself or does some other company do that? If you do it yourself, how do you make sure that the blend is correct? I am interested in this subject and i would like to know more about 'blending'.
"To have a nice, green, weed free lawn is a LUXURY. This holds true for a Cadillac pick-up. We don't have to have one, we just want it! Our Cadillac owning customers want the nice lawn. They paid for the Caddi, why not the lawn?" The moral here folks is, Charge Accordingly!

http://www.gardenplace.com/main.asp?page_id=38
www.j-thomas.com
www.weedalert.com