Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-26-2003, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most unique advertising ideas

I'm curious as to what the most unique advertising ideas are that you've heard of for the green industry.

Here's a few i've seen or have thought of:

Metal business cards (expensive by very eye catching)
Small airplane banners (see these alot at the beach)
Freeway billboards
Sides of busses and tops of taxis
Bus benches
Banner ads at pro baseball or basketball game
Sponsor at a local event with free giveaways
Magazine ad
Business cards on custom cut shape CD's (Shapes like sprockets, snowflakes, pizzaslice etc.)
Radio Spots

I'm sure there are some other ideas than these out there and I would love to hear about them.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have our website address on all three trucks.People can click on our site and get all the contact info and see everything we offer at once.(We lost our photo gallery from our site, and are currently building a new one.) We also use 12"X24" full color coroplast yard signs on every job we do.We leave them on site for a week after completion, and get lots of calls from them. We also have some small 6"X8" signs we leave permanently on sites (near roads/walks)we have under contract.The sign has our name , logo, and number.Works for us.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

biz name & phone # tattoed across forehead! Guarenteed people will always remember you. LOL

Mac
Old 11-26-2003, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

twice that on the lawn signs, they're worth 6x their weight in gold.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Other than 'just to make conversation', I am not sure I understand the point of this thread.

I mean, it's neat to have clever and unique marketing techniques. But just for the sake of being clever or unique???

To me, the best kind of marketing is the kind that gets the best return on investment (ROI). And of those mentioned so far, the yard signs is the only one that really has a high ROI. The others, however unique, aren't really going to generate many phone calls for their cost.

I think a better line of questioning would be, "which kinds of marketing are unique AND generate a lot of response (high ROI)?" For instance, I think it was Jodi or Sean that mentioned they used pre-printed yellow sticky notes and placed them on doors instead of flyers. Now we know that Flyers have a VERY high ROI. And little stickies add a really unique touch! That's my idea of good marketing.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-26-2003, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Wells,

"Business cards on custom cut shape CD's (Shapes like sprockets, snowflakes, pizzaslice etc.)"

Have you ever done this or seen it done? If you have, how well did they work? What would you put on the cd?
Old 11-26-2003, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by olderthandirt
biz name & phone # tattoed across forehead! Guarenteed people will always remember you. LOL

Mac

If that doesnít work, nothing will.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Marketing has 2 components in my opinion.

Name recognition: this means getting your name in front of people all year long...then when they need something they may remember you. This can be signage on your truck, yard signs, yellow pages, an ad in a community directory,etc.

Immediate results marekting: newspaper block ad for the service needed that time of year, yard signs, door to door flyers. BUsiness cards left in a nursery supply store (with their permission)

Personally, I've found that the newspaper ad gets the most immediate results...particulary with thoses services needed in that month of the year. But the ad needs to be different than the 30 other ones in there at the same time. We never stress price in the ad, rather we stress high quality work and dependable service. In that way, by not returning a single call, we weed out some (not all) of the price shoppers
Old 11-26-2003, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Team Gopher,
I'm experimenting right now with mini cd's as biz cards to give out. As for content, I'm still thinking about it but it will probably be like a website, with client photos, services, crews working. Would like it to have some video of actual services being performed like aerations, dethatchings etc.. I think this idea offers a "stand out" approach to getting your foot in the door to prospective clients in a very professional way.

Mike
Old 11-26-2003, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

jimlewis,

I idea behind the thread is to think outside the box.

Like GarPA mentioned it's about name recognition not so much the rate of immediate return.

If all you want is the fast easy dollar then stick with the flyers and signs but if you want to generate long term name recognition then you need a clever marketing idea thats better than the competion.

How many business cards do you recieve in a year? Probably somewhere between 5 and 50 and you probably throw them in a stack somewhere never to resurface again.

Do any of them really stand out in your mind? Most likely not. But what if you recieved one that was made of metal or a custom cut cd shape. How many of those do you have sitting around? Probably none, so the first time you recieved one you would probably show it to friends and family generating alot of attention to this little marketing gimmick.

It idea may not generate immediate return on my dollar, but it will definatly see more face time than your average flyer is going to.

Im attaching some images of custom cut CD'd and metal business cards.

Jim dont be affraid to try new marketing ideas, you never know what might pay off big.
Attached Images