Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2003, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

mower??

I am starting my new business in 04 and I am in the market for a mower. I think I am going to purchase a 60" Lazer Z by exmark. Does anyone think that this is too much mower for a new business. I plan on having 30 to 40 accounts by the end of the season. Also, I was wondering how important it is to carry a large walk-behind mower. Could I get by with a small push mower.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

My opinion and just an opinion, is that I would not spend the kind of money on a 60" until I had some accounts that required that size of equipment.
"anyone can buy equipment, but everyone can'y get the accounts" thats what have been told, I am new as well.
Maybe a 36" that kind fit through a back gate and a walk behind 21" for back up, 2nd help or if needed. just an opinion, good luck.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I would personally recommend a walkbehind as your first mower. They are cheaper, more maneuverable, lighter,and they don't take up as much space. There will be rainy day when the Lazer would be to heavy. I would also recommend looking for a used mower, which will lower your start up cost. Buy equipment as you need it not just "because." I have seen so many LCO fold within the first year simply because of to much overhead.

Atleast you are wanting the BEST ."EXMARK"
Old 12-05-2003, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OK I'll give you my 2 cents becoase its probably just the opposite of most others. Buy it!! and try to buy a walkbehind also. You will be in debt so you have no choice but to get the work to pay for those machines. I like to call that incentive!!!!! If you don't pay for them you will lose them and be out of biz. so that a pretty good reason to bust your azz to make it work if your sure this is what you want to do.

Mac
Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

That is one way to look at it.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the input guys. I have the start up cash to buy the mower so having overhead will not be a problem. I have already purchased a 7' x 12' trailer with a rear and side gate and I have purchased all the little stuff like trimmer, edger, and blower. All I have left to purchase is the mowers. Thanks again for the input.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glynn
My opinion and just an opinion, is that I would not spend the kind of money on a 60" until I had some accounts that required that size of equipment.
Maybe a 36" that kind fit through a back gate and a walk behind 21" for back up, 2nd help or if needed. just an opinion, good luck.
Ditto.
You need something larger than your push mower, but the Lazer is completely the other end of the stick and way too much money for the amount of business you're speaking of.

Look for a 36" w/b with a sulky.

Wait till you HAVE TO have it to spend that kind of money. JMO