Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2000, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering of those Wright Stander owners how hard it is to make height adjustments and blade changes. I am looking into one of these. Have driven it and like it. I also wonder about how it handles the hills. Where I tried it, it was hilly and a few times it spun it's wheels going down the hill and carried past the next run. I just wondered this is a problem with these types in general. I am looking at a 48" or a 52" and would be interested in prices you have paid. Really appreciate your help.
Old 10-24-2000, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

changing the cuting height isn't a problem just run one of the front wheels up on your trailer ramp and adjust the other side and then do the same on the other side, also changing the blades do the same thing run one wheel up on the ramp and change 2 of the blades and then the other side I use mine on hill sides deep ditches exct. vertically and horizontially with no prob. also I paid $4800 for my 16 hp 48" wright stander good luck on your decision, and if you have any other ? you can email me. check my profile for address
Old 10-24-2000, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

moon if you do that you will bottom out on the deck.Please put more detail by what you mean.
Old 10-24-2000, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased a Wright Stander this summer. Mine has a 48" cut and 17hp Kawasaki engine. Prior to this mower I've used Scag hydro walk behinds. This machine has made my job much easier and renewed my interest in mowing. I wish that I had purchased one earlier. So far (about 200 hrs) the machine has been trouble free and built well.

I still carry a walk behind for mowing embankments. Once you are comfortable with the Stander you will find that the mower is good on hillsides. I lift the front of the mower up with a tractor bucket to change blades. Mowing height is adjusted with the front caster spaces just like most walk behinds. Hope this answers your questions. Steve
Old 10-24-2000, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

to be more specific drive the front right tire up on the ramp this leaves the left side out to the side a good 12 to 18 inches of the ground with plenty of room to work and then switch sides by moving to the other side of the trailer and driving the left side up on the ramp I have done this for several years to change my blades it is easier than using a jack or other apparatus and quicker especially in the field
Old 10-24-2000, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

No big deal changing height or blades. I use a Jungle Jim "jungle jack" on my 61" Stander, but the trailer ramp works well too. I don't change the height of cut on mine. I cut all lawns at approx. 3 1/2 inches. The Stander does pretty well on hills...going across. It will go up and down, but can get away from you on steep declines. I have been able to mow all hills that my Toro 52"Z can with the Stander. Stander 61" w/23hp Kaw cost me 6,500. Had it since June and still happy.

Old 10-24-2000, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the replys...appreciate the help a lot. anybody else that wants to chip in is appreciated to. thanks again
Old 10-25-2000, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48" with 18 Vanguard & love it! I use the Jungle Jack or when on the road use the trailer ramp like mentioned earlier. Great, solid machine & easy to use & work on. I believe I paid $4800.00 for it. Once you are comfortable with it, you will be able to handle any hill. Next year I will get a larger deck so that it is off set from the wheel base and easier for trimming around objects. The quality of cut is great. Throw some double blades on it (regular under gator) and you don't have to bag leaves.
Old 10-26-2000, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I loked at the wright stander and the deck adjustment is the main reason I didnt buy it. Liked the concept but seemed to time consuming compared to pin or even better a hydro deck lift
Old 10-26-2000, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Moon so you are saying in a short way is drive up the ramp diagnol with one caster hanging off?