Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2003, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Hope I make it story!

Here is my story. I graduated from NC State with a degree in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management in December of 2002. I ended up managing a Play It Again Sports store for a while. It was a good job that I enjoyed but did not make much $$$. Next thing I know my mom got encephalitis, a infection of the brain. I moved home to help my dad take care of her. She lost a lot memory and can not be left alone for an extended amout of time. Back to lawn care my dad has his own lawn care business and basicly has one large commercial account. He always has people asking him to take over their residental accounts but he always turns them down. So I decided to jump in and give it a shot. I started my own business for 2004 and already have a few accounts(need many more). I don't know everything there is to know about lawn care but have been learning from this great site and helping him out. I love being outdoors and seeing the results of my hardwork, so I believe this may be my "calling". My goal is to start small, learning as much as I can, and one day run a meduim size "successfull" lawn care business. Everyone keep up the informative post. I love learning from them and am inspired by yalls stories.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi CurrituckCaretaker,

You will make it! Keep up the great work!
Old 12-17-2003, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Good Story, Currituck. Good school too, hence my avatar.

The wife and I do the Northern 5 lighthouse tours about once per year and my family has a place at Harker's Island, so I usually start out at Cape Lookout and head North. I'm due for another trip here next spring. I'll try and look you up.

David
Old 12-17-2003, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Hope your mom is doing better. My prayers to you and all your family.
Good start to your business. Hook up with a reputable and revered local family owned nursery. They may be able to get you accounts without having to market the usual way. Also, places like that are a gold mine for technical information and updates on new things. Anybody can mow, but spotting pythium blight( et al) b4 anyone else and knowing what to do makes you indespensable.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey man! Avery Landscaping in Kitty Hawk here. What is your or your dad's business called? Probably seen you out working.

Feel free to stop and talk to me if you ever need anything or have any questions.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Avery, my dads manages the condos at windswept ridge in the currituck club. He takes care of all the lawn care and landscaping there. My company is called Currituck Caretaker. I am starting in January doing residential homes. I see your trucks almost everyday,(your crews are always working hard). Love your new truck.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-21-2003, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They better be working hard! We do lots of installs in the Currituck club. And I am usually the one driving the new 4500 until I can replace my maintenance foreman that quit not long ago. If you see me stop and say hi. Give me some cards also and I will swing you some residential work. We do not do those.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well there ya go.

Your on your way to a bright future.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats great that others are willing to help each other out (newbies to the biz) outside of the Lawnsite world. Not to many LCO's around here that will do that. Everyone is to protective worried that everyone is going to take them down.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is very good of you Avery, Shows your a man of good characture. Probalbly explaines your success.