Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-18-2004, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

The brat is the better deal because it has a zetons drivetrain and will outlast the jazee twos transmissions. the jazee two you will get about 1000 hours on the trannys the brats hydropumps and wheel motors will last 7000 hours. As far as if the 20 can power the 52 it depends on HOW tall the grass is and how thick it is but i have mowed with the 2052koj2 in some pretty tall stuff and i didn't have any troubles.

The 19 kawy on the brat is the same as the one on the jazee.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess my tall stuff isn't too bad since I used to handle it with my old JD 175 Hydro (38") with a 14 hp single Kohler. I don't have any info on the Charger (both units at the distributor are twin sticks) but if CC also includes it in their intro pricing, I might be able to swing it. Do you know what engines are available with 48 or 52 decks and if it would be worth the extra cost over the Brat? More thanx...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Thought I would "jump" in on your posts.

The 20hp 52" cut will work great under most conditions. When comparing to your JD you have to remember that you will most likely travel FASTER when using a ZTR tractor, so this isn't really an accurate comparison. I Know everyone says NO I won't go faster, but the ZTR works so well that you will find yourself doing so. Anyway, it should work fine.

52" deck, Joystick control, Charger mowers are available with 23 kawasaki or 23 kohler. 48" deck, Joystick control, Charger mowers are available with 20 Kohler. Twinstick control units are 19 Kawasaki on 48" and 23 Kawa on 52".

Hope this helps
Old 03-19-2004, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Your input is welcome, bantam. I've noticed that many posts on these forums strongly prefer Kawasaki (even those that have owned both and had no problems with either one). What are your thoughts with respect to the above engine options. Thanx...
Old 03-19-2004, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

BOTH are fine engines, both have plenty of power. It all boils down to the Ford vs. Chevy type of arguments. Which is BETTER??? ALOT of personal preference. I would say though, if you personally have no preferences find out which one your dealer is more familiar with servicing. That way should the need ever arise for service work you will have the "leg up". (food for thought)
Old 03-26-2004, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Member

bantam/rvrdvr: Any reason that the Kawi engine costs less on the Jazees and more on the Chargers? With the current intro pricing, a new Charger 2048KOJ is only about $300 more than a leftover Brat 1948KAJ; which is the better deal (and which engine produces more torque)? Thanx...
Old 03-28-2004, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Okay guys, my demo mow today quickly convinced me that the 20 hp Kohler was more than enough of a match for my tallest, thickest grass! So what's my problem? My Scag-loving neighbor has become so impressed with Country Clipper that he told me I'd be crazy to settle for the 2048JAZeeTwo ($4992) when for $500 more I could move up to the 2048Charger that would offer bigger tires, sturdier deck, higher cut and ground speed, longer warranty, pivoting front axle, newer design, and commercial grade tranny with standard oil cooler. What do you think?
But he thought the joystick control was less precise than his twin sticks. He acknowledged that this could certainly be due to his lack of experience in using the joystick. Any opinions about this would be appreciated. Thanx...
Old 03-28-2004, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Just spend the little extra for the charger it will be worth it.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanx! Any thoughts on joystick vs. twin sticks? More thanx...
Old 03-28-2004, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I prefer the J.S. because I like having a hand free to hold low hanging branches out of the way. Or just to hold a Cold drink on a hot day.