Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-31-2004, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, decision time! I'm sure the 2048KOJ Charger will more than handle anything I've got. But I'm toying with the idea of moving up to the 2352KOJ for $300 more. While I don't need the slightly bigger deck and tires, or the larger engine, I figure that if I'm tempted to trade for something newer in a few years, the 2352 will be worth at least that much more than the 2048 (since either one will be just barely broken-in -- by commercial standards). Is this logical, or am I just looking for an excuse to go with more than I should? Thanx for any final advice...
Old 03-31-2004, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

if your planning on trading it in, in a couple of years i would get the bigger one because if your selling it to someone which will use it commercially(which is what most of them are used for) it will be a LOT easier to sell a 2352 compared to a 2048
Old 04-14-2004, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Need some more help on specs on the new Charger. I know that the tractor width (rear wheels) of the JazeeTwo is 45.5". What is it on the Charger (as well as width across the front wheels)? Would like enough overhang on the deck to trim under my fence line, and concerned that the 2048KOJC's deck will just barely span the wheel width (even the front wheels would be too high to work). They don't seem to last long enough at the dealers or warehouse for me to check it out in person. Anyway of getting these dimensions? I'd like to be able to baffle-off the discharge opening and mulch/trim on either side without worrying that either front/rear wheels would be in the way. Thanx for any advice.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Mow High, Some of the details on trim edge and overhang.

2048KOJC, CHARGER series, 20HP Kohler, with a 48" cut deck, Joystick Steering.

The deck "hangs out" the trim side approx. 3/4" to 1" and is flush with the rear wheel on the discharge side. In relation to the front caster wheels it is approximately the same. These approximate measurements are from the blade tips, NOT the edge of the deck shell.

I think if you look around you will find this to be fairly industry standard on commercial type units equipped with LARGE rear tires and 48" decks.

Hope this helps
Old 04-15-2004, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, bantam! How much more leeway would I have on the 2352KOJC - - are the 24" tires any wider than the 23" (I assume the front caster width is the same).
Also, am I pretty close in guessing that the left/right overhang on the 2048KOJ2 would be about 2"/1" and on the 2052KOJ2 about 4"/3".
Thanx for the help - - so far, the only CC models I've been able to look at in person have been the JAZee and the Zeton. My dealer has promised to call when he has a Charger on hand, but they've been selling too quickly! (especially the 2560KOJC)...
Old 04-16-2004, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, the rear tires are wider on the 52" Charger. The overhang is approx. 3/4" to 1" on the 52" (BOTH sides). IF this is REALLY critical to you it is possible to put the rear tires from the 48" model onto the 52" and gain some inches on the overhang.

Don't remember about the other units off the top of my head, would need to find something to measure and/or look at.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, bantam. As I sat here toying with the earth-shattering prospects of close-mowing on either side, I suddenly realized that the added stability of a 3-4" wider rear track might prove the more relevant feature when my more impulsive #2 son inevitably assumes control of the joystick. The extra hp should also come in handy whenever my wife insists we reclaim some of the back 2+ acres that I periodically return to Mother Nature (and glimpse reminders of its cotton-farming history).
Thanks too, rvrdvr. The next 2352KOJC you guys assemble could be headed my way! I've enjoyed learning about Country Clipper and running across it more frequently on this and other websites. You and bantam have spared Bruce (at CC) from several more phone calls from 'Tim Allen' (Bruce's quip). Thanks for your patience and helpful comments.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Question about rough terrain. While pondering my own choice, I borrowed a friend's 1948KAJ Jazee to help hold me over. Since I had only mowed with a Zeton, it was a real surprise to see how easily the Jazee handled my tall, thick stuff. Much better than my old JD and the new one I had just demoed. However, I noticed that while I was able to zip around my friend's smooth turf at top speed, it was a different story on my own level, but bumpy terrain. In the past, when mowing the far back, I typically slowed to a crawl in order to allow the mower to keep from clogging up. This was not necessary with the Jazee, which cut far more easily. However, I had to slow down to my previous crawl (about 2 mph) to keep from being bumped out of my seat! The rough terrain (assisted by the dried excavated earthmounds of crawdads and whatever else I've got) would throw the front casters (spinning wildly) into the air and even popped the deck (I was mowing at the highest 'transport' position) out of the transport 'notch'. My neighbor confirmed that he has the same problem in his backyard even with his rugged Scag Tiger.
My question is to what extent would the larger wheels and casters on the JazeeTwo or the Charger (and axle pivot) smooth things out? If not much, would I be better off considering a larger 60" deck to reduce my mowing time, if little can be done to increase actual groundspeed? Thanx for any advice (it's always something!)
Old 04-20-2004, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Larger tires and pivoting axle will definately help your situation. Regardless, if the terrain is extremely rough you will have to slow down some. Potholes are potholes, no way around them except around them. A little less air pressure in the tires will also make things feel better (caution though, re-check you deck leveling if you do this)

Later models of all Country Clipper machines have a position to "pin" the lift handle so if it does bounce out of the transport mode it will still be cutting at the same high (added a cut height hole)
Old 04-20-2004, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanx for the reassurance; I had also thought about a little less tire pressure. My wife claimed that all this was just an excuse to justify getting the Charger rather than the Jazee, but I'll feel better with something more rugged to withstand the bumps (although it gives me reason to think about the suspension seat!). Even having to slow down in the back section, it was still quite a bit faster and provided a better cut (even my wife noticed) than anything we've used before. Thanks again for all the info.