Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2004, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Just learned that the mulch kit is not yet available for the Charger (probably too busy building them - - everyone that shows up at the distibutor's is already sold prior to delivery; had to get on the waiting list). Was wondering if the jack would be worthwhile for flipping up the deck (couldn't find any specs on the weight of the 52" Charger deck vs the 42 and 48" Jazee decks)? Also, what is the recommended tire pressure? I was thinking about reducing it 15% to help smooth out the ride on rough terrain. Thanx for any info; looking forward to its arrival!
Old 04-27-2004, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulch Kit should already be available for Charger.

Jack tool works well, but is slower than just doing it by hand. Charger deck is heavier than Jazee (don't know how much though), but still managable (providing you are in reasonable physical shape).

Country Clipper recommends 12psi on all four tires, You could probably go some less, but if it were me I would try that first and see how things looked. With the spring loaded seat feature and the pivoting front axle this thing rides well on rough ground. The Charger is also set up so you can use additional seat suspension springs for heavier operators (if you want to). Look around on your mower it should ship with one EXTRA seat suspension spring that can be moved to up under the seat support plate.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanx, bantam, for your patience and welcome advice. Can't wait to start using it!
Old 05-01-2004, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

While biding my time on the Charger waiting list (tentative 5/10 delivery to distributor) I did a fast mowing before a big rain storm. I dropped the JAZee tire pressure to just above 10psi (originally mowed in 20-30 range) and was pleasantly surprised at the improvement in the ride (height lever never bounced out of the 'transport' setting). But I was more amazed at how well the 19/48 handled my overgrown section (had given up mowing it last year) that was 3 - 4+ feet tall with a lot of it much thicker than my thumb! It's given me a new appreciation for the 'estate' mower category (not quite commercial, but definitely not just residential). I can't wait to try out the Charger's 24" tires (at low range of pressure) and the pivoting front axle! I've heard that the popularity of the Charger (I've certainly been doing my share) has resulted in its exclusive production at Shivvers. I wish there was some way to identify ordered units, so my 23/52 could be equipped with the mulching kit (told by CC that it was still not available) and a couple of extra deck height pins (handy when frequently changing settings) - - a blemished suspension seat wouldn't be bad for the bumps, either! Seriously, if not for what I've learned here, I'd probably be bouncing around on some over-priced used and battered twin-stick. Thanks for all your help and looking forward to passing it on to other newcomers. JohnS
Old 05-03-2004, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I am pretty sure that mulch kits are readily available from Country Clipper for all of their mower decks.