Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2004, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
milorganite is 6-2-0

Apply 66% 0f nitrogen for fall release!!!!!!!!!

How much total n do you apply per year?

Yes, I believe 30lbs/m of milorganite is too much n in spring!
30 x .06 = 1.8lbsn/m

milorganite will only give about 8 weeks of release
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 01-16-2004, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ty very much tim, and release rate is very important, if the release rate for Milorganite was 12 or 15 weeks then i would provide better value by giving a heavy rate less often. However for now i will stick with 5 apps but use less Milorganite in the spring so i dont overdo the N. Do you know if other organic fertilizers break down more slowly and therefore should be applied less often, say for eg a feathermeal-bonemeal-potash
In a related area I apply my fall app earlier then i would a last app of synthetic due to the fact that as temperatures go down a fall app can take a while to decompose and get turned into food for the plants.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trying 2B organic,

When figuring application rates with a product you first need to figure out how much ACTUAL nitrogen is in the bag......if Milorganite is 8-2-0, these numbers represents the PERCENTAGE of N P and K in the bag. If the bag weighs 50Lbs and it is 8 percent N
50 x 8% = How much actual N in the bag. (4 Lbs) If you want to apply 1Lb of actual N per 1000 sq. ft. then this bag would cover 4000 sq. ft. Now divide 50 (representing the bag weight) into 4 (representing how many thousand square feet to be covered by the bag) and this will give you the product application rate per 1000 sq. ft. 50Lbs/4 =12.5pounds per 1000sq. ft.

Hope this helps!

Pete D
Old 01-16-2004, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
2b,

roots product 8-2-6, FOR NITROGEN SOURCE contains feather meal, meat and bone meal, and mononmmoniom phoshate. My notes from man rep STATES, 12 week release at 1lbsN/m and 6 week release at .5 lbsN/m

roots 15-3-8, nitrogen source from same as 8-2-6, plus urea, methylene urea, GIVES a 6-8 week release at 1 lbsN/m, and 3-4 week release at .5lbsN/m

BOTH PRODUCTS ARE A BRIDGE OR FORTIFIED NATURAL ORGANIC FERTILIZER

So maybe I should restate that 1lbsN/m from a natural organic will take 12 weeks to release. Not really sure how long, but 8-12 week release time is in ball park, of course this assume soil temp is above 55 degrees!

ROOTS products are great, BUT VERY EXPENSIVE!!!!
Old 01-25-2004, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the best way to get more k into a program with 2 apps of milorganite (6-2-0) and 2 apps of 8-3-3 organic. This will equal only 1 lb of k. I will add some 0-0-50 sulfate of potash but how exactly. should i try to mix it into the spreader or do a separate run with the pure potash after i do an app of Milorganite. Is it safe to use this 0-0-50? I will need a very light application obviosly but is there a possible prob. I'm thinking about the burn we can get froma very high N product. ty.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 b organic,

Salt index of milorganite is .7, sulfate potash is .9, muriate of potash is 1.9, urea is 1.7, scu is.7, potassium nitrate is 5.3

Could use greensand
1 lbs K/m of sulfate would be safe any time

Do a seperate run

What grass are you treating?
Old 01-25-2004, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

rye-fescue , awsome, so its the salt index that causes a "burn" sometimes? And since sulfate of potash has a low index i can do a separate run and its safe? Thats great, I'm just trying to get a decent ratio since with organics you get what you get. The come a little light in the K for esp when you do a couple apps with Milorganite like I said. ty again. btw one pain I have discovered is the 4% iron in milorganite is enough that i have to sweep or blow it off concrete because it will stain. No biggie i guess. Its good cause we have moss and deer and it is good for both. (Iron repels moss, Milorganite for some reason repels deer)
Old 01-25-2004, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2B ORGANIC,

could do when you apply organic fert, depends on how your program is set up! In your locall, you want potash levels up going into summer, you have the most stress on coll season turf then in your zone.
Potash and iron both help with stress. You are getting plenty of iron from milorganite. Please pm me about your fert program if youwant additional info