Register free!

Old 10-27-2000, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've got maybe half-a-dozen customers that wanted fall aeration but we haven't had time to get to it. Wanted to do it back in September, but we're shortstaffed and have been too busy. We're thinking of doing them next week. Seems pretty late to me, but I can't think of any detrimental reasons not to do it. Anyone know of a reason why we should hold off 'till spring? We're in S.Ontario.

Old 10-27-2000, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

If the ground is not froze, have at it
Old 10-28-2000, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Main purpose of aeration is to loosen soil to allow better root growth. In cool season grasses, root growth is at it's prime from Sept to May/June. Only time root growth stops is if ground is frozen. Best time for aeration is as early as you can in the root growing time frame - so yes, now would be more beneficial than spring.
Another benefit in fall aeration further north is that the soil has more pore space, therefore more space to hold water. Then when the ground freezes, there is further aeration from the freeze/thaw process.
Old 10-28-2000, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Jim. I figured if anyone had heard of a reason NOT to aerate now, it'd be you. You must have some good reference manuals close at hand, or you've got a photographic memory, 'cause you always give good textbook answers.

Actually, I did think of one reason now isn't the best time...we'll have to blow a billion leaves off the turf at each house before we can start pluggin'.