Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2003, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This was a fair chase hunt. In an area of afreca that was over populated with lions a permit sort of thing.

AVRECON IF YOU HAVNOT WATCHED IT YOU HAVE NO COMMENT.

It was not a fish in a barrell thing or so the storie I was told goes.

Jim

I posted it because the hunter almost got it because of stupidity.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:33 PM
Banned

I know some people won't hunt or eat meat because they don't want to kill anything...I can respect that. The thing is, something has to die for us to live. God made it that way. It might not have a cute face, or a face at all, but the fact remains that something has to die for us to eat.

That said, I'm not for irresponsibleand reckless hunting. You should know what you're doing and make the kill as quickly and cleanly as possible.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

he got his money's worth on that hunt.

The camera and shooters point of view are from two totally different angles. Quartering away should have gave him a good enough shot.
I imagine an African hunt is more nerve racking, than the typical North American white tail hunt. He's just lucky he had a GOOD guide.

that last shot probably wasn't necessary. But if it was me, I might have thrown a few more
Old 12-30-2003, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

it seems to me that hunting dangerous african plains animals is a good justification for owning assault weapons!

I think I'll go out and buy a few more assault weapons in case I get to go to africa some day.

GEO
Old 12-30-2003, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phishook
he got his money's worth on that hunt.

The camera and shooters point of view are from two totally different angles. Quartering away should have gave him a good enough shot.
I imagine an African hunt is more nerve racking, than the typical North American white tail hunt. He's just lucky he had a GOOD guide.

that last shot probably wasn't necessary. But if it was me, I might have thrown a few more
Agreed on all three!

did anyone else cringe when the guy in the background fell to the ground as the hunter swept across the small group of people with his rifle? Actually, in hindsight I think it was the best place to be!
Thats why they call it dangerous game...
Old 12-30-2003, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I watched the vid, and unless those guys intend on eating that cat, I wish it would have killed every damn one of those hunters. Hunting for something you're going to eat is one thing, but killing an awsome animal like that, just to put his head over the mantle is another. Disgusting!
Old 12-30-2003, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AVRECON
I watched the vid, and unless those guys intend on eating that cat, I wish it would have killed every damn one of those hunters. Hunting for something you're going to eat is one thing, but killing an awsome animal like that, just to put his head over the mantle is another. Disgusting!
Disgusting would be letting the lions over populate the area, killing the farmers livestock, and all the native game. Then watching the lions die of malnutrition and disease. That would be disgusting.
Lowering the herd(pride?) numbers seems a little more practical.

And a little more fun too!!! Die you little pussycat, Die!

Old 12-30-2003, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phishook
Disgusting would be letting the lions over populate the area, killing the farmers livestock, and all the native game. Then watching the lions die of malnutrition and disease. That would be disgusting.
Lowering the herd(pride?) numbers seems a little more practical.

And a little more fun too!!! Die you little pussycat, Die!

You are right on target with your statements. But it is my understanding that the big cats are on the decline because of being over hunted. I'm all for hunting when it's done in a ethical manner. I hunt myself, but only when I plan to eat what I kill or know someone else that would like for me to bring them some of the meat from the kill.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That peticular cat from what I have understood about it, is a rejected leader of a pride. He was whipped by a stronger member and replaced as leader of the pride. These cats are the ones that kill livestock because of its age cannot always hunt like it needs to. The government sells permits to hunters at a price so high few can afford to hunt them. The funds from this hunt actually employ additional wardens to protect other cats, elephants, rhinos, and such. It is a win-win situation they get rid of a cat who is no longer productive, one that is a very potential problem, and get money to hire more wardens.

Sounds like GOOD MANAGEMENT to me. But too many uneducated do-gooders with their bunny hugging ideas is about to ruin the whole process. These countries now have educated biologist to oversee these places. Most of these biologist are there by private funded groups looking to further all animal groups.

It is a delicate balance between a productve operation trying to save the wildlife, and feed the people.

Jim
Old 12-31-2003, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen Jim.