Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2004, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Canary Island Date Palms

Anyone have one of these? How do you make them have more girth? Does any particular way of trimming promote better growth?
Old 01-03-2004, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"How do you make them have more girth? "

From what I understand, it just takes many, many years for that. Very slow growers.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Their girth will increase with age. Here in AZ we prune off the bottom 2/3rds of the fronds so there is a tuft on top of 10 to 12 fronds to resemble a pineapple, hence its nickname, "pineapple palm". Here we also add amendments of iron,manganese, and magnesium to combat saline water and alkaline soil. In FLA these conditions probably don't exist, so ask around to see what is being used locally. BE CAREFUL when trimming these, their spikes near the base of the trunk will puncture most gloves and can go through to the bone. I use welder gloves that cover my forearms.
There is also a multi-trunked species called a "pigmy date palm" that will remain thin-girthed and will only get to be 6 or 7 feet tall in maturity.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you sure this isn't some sort of code for something else you have a problem with? : )

Actually I have another question about them. My wife just asked today what they were when she saw one. Do the multi trunked ones just grow that way from a single source or is it multiple trees planted together?

Finally, what tool is best to trim the fronds off with?
Old 01-05-2004, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Energy,

Here is a quote from this site. More information located there.

"Pruning: Many landscapers who maintain palms have a tendency to over prune and give palms a "hurricane cut." Remove palm leaves if they are completely dead (brown).

Older palm leaves are often removed because they are showing nutrient deficiencies and are off-color. Some nutrients are transferred from old to new leaves. Removal of these leaves will make the nutrient deficiency worse and results in a condition referred to as "pencil top" (trunk narrows just below fronds). "
Old 01-05-2004, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I use a pole pruner with "gator tooth " saw blade and don't have to get too close to the deadly spikes.
Team Gopher, Your quote brings up an interesting point. If someone wants their palms (or most shrubs for that matter) trimmed and for whatever reason I say wait for a period of weeks, months or years, the customer will have someone else there in a matter of hours to do the job. So do I talk myself out of business? What I have come up with is to do the job to make the tree or shrub pleasing to the eye with the overall health of the plant kept in mind.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ideally trimming only the completely brown palm fronds would be the best route to go when trying to maintain a healthy landscape. However, my customers are more concerned with a beautiful looking landscape and palms are quite unattractive when only brown fronds are removed. I realize team gopher was only giving advice based on research but I wanted to concur with what evandseby said. I will typically only remove two to three rows of green fronds.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure you are not talking about a Pygmy Date Palm, they are smaller in general and many times are grown with multiple plants in one pot? Pruning should be done with whatever will make the cleanest cut possible and as said earlier only remove the dead or almost dead fronds.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I understand the "tornado" cut you are talking about. I know this narrows the trunk at the point where it was trimmed that thin. I want to know how or what makes it wider, girth. I know each plant has it's own personal quality of growth. Some are not the same grade as others just because of stock, but the ones that are Fancy or A quality, how do you get the to grow thicker? Has anyone seen the ones in front of Universal Studios here in Orlando? That is what i am talking about. What nutrients, conditions, supplements.....Canary's are my favorite and recently aquired one that is a real high quality specimen about 3.5 clear trunk. Any more help would be appreciated.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

OK. Use sulfate of magneseum. Use sulfate of manganese. If you can't find these, a box of fertilizer spikes for palm trees that have micronutrients will do. In addition go with a commercial quality 10-10-10 every month to 6 weeks. I do not know if the product, "ironite" is available in FLA (Green and yellow bag), but adding that product along with the above is beneficial here in AZ. I also believe that regular, proper irrigation will benefit the tree as well. Does 3.5 clear trunk mean 3 and 1/2 feet between the ground and where the fronds begin?
Trim the old fronds off just behind the first row of spikes. You can go another few inches past that, but don't seeing as you want girth. When the tree gets older you can use a chainsaw to tidy up the weathered parts with a fresh "shave" I am going to Orlando in two weeks and will look at the ones in front of Universal Studios.