Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-08-2004, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Christmas lights

I have been thinking about putting up Christmas lights during the winter season for additional revenue. Any one doing this and making dollars?

Dave
Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Was wondering the same thing.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do any thing that pays my hourly rate Christmas lights included.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought about this for a couple of years. Finally did it this year. I was amazed what people will pay to have their lights put up. Smallest job was $270.00 (they supplied lights), largest was $1,600. Very good profit margins but a LOT more work than I thought. I ended up getting 8 jobs after only sending a billing insert with their October bill which arrived in the beginning of November. Didn't advertise to anyone but current customers. Very good potential.

Hated the work, though. When you are on a roof and it is in the 30-40 degree range and the winds whip up so you ask yourself "Why?". Then you get paid and you say "That's why."
Old 01-08-2004, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do and we definately charge the price. Weather is cold and windy most days, so we make it worth out while
Old 01-09-2004, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Yard Perfect,

Here is a quote from this post.

"I do lighting installs, and do very well at it. Where will you be getting the lights? I use all commercial lights and am a perfectionist with my cords, timers, the way I wrap etc.. It takes time to become good at design, load calculation, etc. On deciduous trees every single branch should be wrapped twice. We charge new customers per string to buy ($5.99)them and per string ($5.99)to hang them, $50 misc. fee (covers first 100 ft C-9 or 100 strings of minis)+ $10 for every adddittional 100 ft of C-9 or 100 strings of minis (this covers tape, zipties, gutter clipsetc) We also mark up the cords, timers, and triple taps. All prices include install and take down. C-7 or C-9 is $2.00 per ft, installed and taken down. The steeper the peak, you mark up the price. If you need a bucket truck to do the job you need to figure out how long it will take to put up , and take down and put it in the estimate. We don't mark up the rental price but we make sure the cust knows up fornt it will take a bucket and he will be paying for it. Existing customers pay the same rates they just don't have to buy ther lights. Once you become good at it you should be able to wrap 12 - 15 strings of minis per hour or 100 - 150 ft of C-7/C-9 per hour. Please e-mail me if you need any other info."
Old 01-09-2004, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have done lights in the past what a pain in the azz
u have 2 know the load u r pulling on a circuit no problem
however if the house is wired poorly and there r 2 many things on that circuit u r in trouble
if the house has 1 or 2 outside boxes and they have a lamp plugged in the same circuit inside or a tv and u put the lights on that same circuit and now it may be overloaded and it pops it is u on the hook
my point is if u do lights /elec. work, even if u just plug in a cord with lights u can be held responsible 4 any elec. problems that can occur even a fire.
be careful and good luck.