Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-10-2004, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Toro 36" hydro. I'm pretty sure. What would you do?

Ok, again as you all know I have been the market for a 36" mower. Well today the toro dealer finally made my mind up, I think that is. They offered me the 36" hydro fixed deck with mulch kit for 3600.00 that is about maybe 50 over there costs. Any ways my other options are the exmark tthp 36" 04 for 4100 and a husqvarn 42" hydro floating deck for 4000.00. Neither the exmark and husky price include the mulch kit.
Would you all stay with the toro 36 proline or would you spend the extra on the exmark of the husky?
Old 01-10-2004, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The main problem I have w/my Toro hydro's is the T-Bar control is not condusive to independent wheel control on zero turns which can lead to more 3 point turns & divoting on z turns.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry i did not mention that the toro was pistol grip. Thank you for your input.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a dealer, so I may be biased. But we also carry other lines too.

The Toro fixed deck with pistol grip is a fine mower. Offers good quality of cut, and bagging. The NW is not conducive for mulching commercially. My biggest customers has one with the Kawasaki engine. Several hours on unit, and no problems. Just regular service.

The Kohler engine is good, but many guys don't like the sound of the hydraulic valve lifters.

Sounds like you are getting a good mower, with a great deal.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 Toro hydro w/b's and have had very good service from them.
2008 F350 Stake body 6.4 Diesel
1992 Chevy 1500
4 Boss snowplows
1 Grasshopper 722D 61"
3 Grasshopper 223 61"
1 Kubota ZD 331 72"
1 Toro 36" W/B
1 Toro 44" W/B
1 Wright Stander 52"
1 Massey Ferguson 1428 Tractor
1 Kubota RTV 1100 diesel with broom
Husqvarna trimmers
Stihl and Redmax blowers
Old 01-10-2004, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have seldom used toro mowers but a few times. i woudl for sure go with the pistol grip model...i used a t bar once and absolutley hated it. maybe it is just a preference, but i would not buy a t bar machine ever.

good luck.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newmanfan

The Kohler engine is good, but many guys don't like the sound of the hydraulic valve lifters.

Is that like some sort of a clattering sound at low to mid throttle? I've got a Toro Hydro 36" w/ the 15 horse Kohler and it makes a sound I don't really like at about mid-throttle.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go for the Exmark TTHP with the floating deck. The ease of taking the deck off and changing blades is the greatest.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

newmanfan, you are a dealer? how much are the actual invoice on those mowers? Im sure they are a lot cheaper than what sildoc is saying. sildoc, fix deck is just fine if you dont mind changing the spacers once in a while to do various type grasses. we usually have only two types here, bahia and st augustine. i do all the st augustine's first then bahia so i only change the spacers once a day on my Stander. Fixed deck gives a better cut when it comes to turns. i used to notice a little scalping with my ZTR adjustable deck when i made turns. just keep all tires inflated evenly and you will have no problems, especially on a 36". dealers always tell you it is only blah blah amount over their cost, but that is their sales pitch. slap $3400 cash on the counter tell him that is all you have, take it or leave it and throw in the tax too. I bet you will be surprised with the outcome.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There is no tax in Oregon. I have a list of what the exmark 36 cost the dealer here and I know that it is 3695 for the 36 tthp and that includes the shipping to their door. so for the toro fixed I figure that with shipping I am guessing 3500 was about right in 2002. Mind you this is with the mulch kit. I don't mind the dealer making a little other wise he wont be around for long. Any ways The west coast is more expensive to live in than that we see of the east coast and mid west. Don't get me wrong there are places like New York city and Jersey and such that cost to live in but per capita no comparison.