Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-12-2004, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Need advice on advertising and being competitive

I would like to know, how you that have been in business, advertise. Should a person (with a one man show) advertise in the local yellow pages. Or start less conspicuous and build on a reputation of word of mouth. Or, go for the gusto and put yourself out in the world of the dog-eat-dog environment of cut throat bidding. How do I stay competitive in an area where everybody with a 4x4 and a mower has a lawn service. I have 10 full service costumers (9) residential (1) commercial. I will be wanting to grow the business this spring.

Thanks for advice!
Old 01-14-2004, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Submit a bid on properties you want to service along with a short flyer nothing like oh ill beat prices yawn.....just plain jane with a separate bid sheet stapled to the top. Make sure you know the property enough to bid or make a good estimation. Sounds like your business is ready to go forward. Hope both of ours is very profitable this year.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I have never advertised once and have plenty to keep me busy as a one man show. I am only part time right now while my wife finishes school. I don't want to advertise right now because I don't want to have to turn anybody down. If you have room for more business, stick some cards in the local post office. I used like 5 or 6 so if someone got one of them there would be some left. I gained a lot of my business from my existing customers. If you can get into a subdivision doing one or two (even if you have to discount to get your foot in the area) people will stop and ask for an estimate. Subdivisions are great, you unload once and mow 3 or 4 and load back up. You're not driving all around town to do 3 or 4 yards.
Stihl BR420C Backpack
Stihl FS85 Trimmer
6.5X12 open trailer with ramp
6.5X16 open trailer with ramp and side gate
Old 01-18-2004, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Re: Need advice on advertising and being competitive

Quote:
Originally posted by Mow4money
I would like to know, how you that have been in business, advertise. Should a person (with a one man show) advertise in the local yellow pages. Or start less conspicuous and build on a reputation of word of mouth. Or, go for the gusto and put yourself out in the world of the dog-eat-dog environment of cut throat bidding. How do I stay competitive in an area where everybody with a 4x4 and a mower has a lawn service. I have 10 full service costumers (9) residential (1) commercial. I will be wanting to grow the business this spring.

Thanks for advice!

Every thing you said yourself and any thing else you can think of
Its a dog eat dog world out there and if you aint the biggest meanest dog your gonna go hungry.

Mac