Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2004, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Springtime Aerations

What is everyone's thoughts on aerating in the spring? I have done a few in the spring in the past, but usually try to sell aerations in the fall. And push for aerating in the fall over the spring. Is there really any drawbacks to aeating in the spring, or is it more or less the same? I am trying to concentrate on doing improvements to grass in the fall, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to do extensive advertising this spring for aerating.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Common practice on golf courses is spring and fall aerating. Should work just fine on residential/commercial.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2004, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually try for Spring or Fall so I have a balance in the number and/or size we have to do. I don't want too many in the Spring that it carries over into Summer nor do I want too many in the Fall to the point I can't get them all finished either.

Hope that helps some...
Old 01-12-2004, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't do spring aeration it helps the weeds out. If you seed you can't do your pre emergent. If a golf course has problem they just use more herbicides. Will your customers pay you for an extra round?
Old 01-12-2004, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by turfmower
Don't do spring aeration it helps the weeds out. If you seed you can't do your pre emergent. If a golf course has problem they just use more herbicides. Will your customers pay you for an extra round?
Now that is just plain bunk. Spring aeration does not increase the weeds. I know this from many years of experience. Now, if you're aerating a weed infested lawn, you can apply a pre-emerg. after aeration to control weeds, but it is not necessary in a well maintained lawn. And, golf courses use very little herbicides, as most are harmful to the desirable turf that they are trying to grow.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2004, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good question

Good question mtdmaster,
I was wondering the same thing. I actually had a customer last fall ASK to have it done again in the spring, and I won't turn that down. So since I'd be doing one, I figured why not push to do a few or more at that time. So this year I am going to try for both Spring and Fall aerations, with putting a bit more emphasis on the fall time.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a lot of people ask me in the fall which was better, in the spring or in the fall? I didn't really know, I can't see that either one is necessarily better, but I don't know it all. What I told them was doing it in the fall gave them a head start on developing a better root system for next summer. But I really don't know that is true. Mostly I wanted to seal the deal in the fall and get their money then, in an effort to break even on the purchase of the aerator, though.

I think I will advertise for it in the spring this year. Can't hurt to make some extra money, and I think a lot of people weren't thinking about it last fall with all the green grass due to the rain we got. Outta sight outta mind kinda thing. People might be more into it in the spring while they look at their less than beautiful lawn.

As far as pre-emergence goes, I don't do ferts, so it's not my problem quite frankly. I suppose I could ask if they want seeding as well if they've had a pre-em done. I've never noticed an increase in weeds in a lawn that's been aerated myself.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have heavy clay soil conditions in my area so aerating in both the spring and the fall is beneficial.......I try to sell both. The only thing i would do is make sure that spring aerations are completed before putting out a pre-emergence herbicide.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is there anything wrong with aerating twice a year? Once in the spring and once in the fall? I thought that was normal practice around here.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I aerate in spring and fall. Every body around her follows the same schedule.