Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-30-2004, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

About the company. Well it's me (18 years old) and my brother (20 years old). We are both obtaining degrees in horticulture, so we might be considered part-timers for now. Business was officially established in March 2003. Like a lot of guys, we started cutting at a young age, before either of us could drive. Slowly obtained more and more equipment (and QUICKLY learned that buying commercial equipment pays off). Started off with an '89 chevy halfton loading equipment in the back. Later bought a 4x8 to accomodate a lawn tractor. Finally stepped up to a 6x12 to fit all of the gear onto. Then bought the chevy truck. etc...

As I said above, we are both in school so we don't take on a whole lot of work yet. Lawn maintenance contracts was about 35 this year, varying sized lawns. Snow removal accounts is around 15-20. We do tons of mulching in the spring. Did a few hardscaping jobs this year (a few retaining walls, a walkway...).
Old 11-30-2004, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When are you done with school?, with those degrees sounds like you want to stay in the landscape business. What are your plans for out of school, just going Full time? And you said you do alot of mulching what tips do you have for a guy getting into the business with mulch jobs? what do you figure your cost per yard and time to install is?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be done with school spring '09, my brother will be done spring '08.

Yes, we will be staying in the landscaping industry. Would like to run mainenance crews and do landscape installations. Maybe start a nursery or something. Not sure yet, but definately will be related to horticulture.

Most of our mulching jobs come from current customers. Do a good job and the word spreads. Time to install varies greatly. I can't really give a time because it depends on the installer(s), depth of mulch, access to beds, plants to go around etc. Look for a landscape supplier in your area for wholesale prices. Double shredded hardwood should be under $20. Much much cheaper if you get a bulk delivery (~90cy).
Old 11-30-2004, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch

What type of stuff do you do to do a good mulch job? Bulk mulch price is 90 cubic yards of mulch? and you buy that much where do you store it.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gls

GLS .................I had no idea your from Illinois, where abouts are you going to school? I'm from the land of Lincoln myself. You work with your brother?, how does that go I'm sure things can be pretty difficult sometimes.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I meant if you get a load of ~90 cubic yards of mulch you can get it really cheap; if you have a place to put it and a means of loading it. We just get a contractors discount, have them load it.

Good mulch job -- don't cover plants with it, keep the desired level of depth, don't just throw it down-spread it, keep it off the pavement, don't pile it up around foundation. It seems like common sense, but I have seen a lot of crappy mulch jobs.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are going to school at western illinois university in Macomb.

We do have quite a few arguments, but we get along pretty good considering.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Decals

Can i ask you where you had the decals done on the k2500 and what the cost was? Do you think that they have helped you get jobs? Have they ever worked against you with having your number and all on your truck in anyway?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a local shop print them. We "designed" the layout and installed them ourselves. Still holding up great. I think the cost was $160, probably could have gotten them cheaper, we didn't shop around much.

I don't think people see the truck driving down the road and call. I think they see the truck parked at jobs and maybe write the number down then after they see what type of work we do. I think it also helps with recognizability, they see the truck over and over and the name sticks in their head. I think some people think we have a big fleet of trucks. I've had people say "I see your trucks all over the place", even though it's just the one.

There are times when we could do without the lettering, but we don't do much personal driving with it anymore (try to keep road rage to a minimum )
Old 12-01-2004, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Road Rage

Road Rage lol ...............thats exactly why i thought that in some cases i wouldn't't want them. So in a way you have seen some business come from them.............i bet that makes you feel good when they say they see your trucks everywhere.