Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The DPF, EGR, and EGR cooler are in storage now. Sucks to kiss the warranty goodbye, but we would rather stop sooting up the motor for when the warranty is gone.

Ford is staying stock to retain the powertrain warranty. We will likely sell it within 2 years (remaining warranty), so it isn't worth modding at this point.

The kubota currently has the 72" heavy duty roundback bucket. It is excellent for general purpose, holds a full load of gravel and other heavier materials about to full capacity.

Looking to purchase one of these berlon buckets for mulch and snow: http://www.berlon.com/pdf/mdhv.pdf . They have light duty, medium, and heavy.

Lawn & Landscape Maintenance -- Landscape Installation -- Snow Management

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Those buckets look like they would be great for mulch.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Awesome, glad the emissions crap is off the Cummins, hopefully the tranny holds up now, and you'll love it for sure. Are you still partial to your GMC after all this time you've owned it?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice thread, suprised I didn't find this earlier.

Few Questions:
1. You started with one truck plowing. How did you feel about only having one truck, in case something happened mid snow season? I only have one right now, recently sold the unimount (it needed a new A-Frame slight twist and a cracked) But looking into buying another (still have the truck side).

2. I was throwing up the idea of either dump insert or flatbed on my K3500 SRW. Whats betting in your opinion dump insert or straight up flatbed? After reading your thread I'm leaning towards dump insert thinking it would be more handy with fall clean ups and material handling. Unfortantly I don't think I can swing for a dumping flatbed.

Thanks

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We still like the GMC. It has been a great truck over the years. We are hoping to keep it in service for years to come. Our eventual goal is to replace it with a dodge medium duty (4500 or 5500). But that is down the road.

Back when we only had one plow truck, we didn't have very many accounts. Mostly just driveways that could be cleared by other means. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with no backup machines now. I would make sure you have a backup plan incase there is a breakdown if you are doing commercial properties.

I would definately go dump insert over a stationary flatbed. Dump ability is very important to us.

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks. I've just didn't want something happen and wreck the business name right away, if my truck was newer or if I was the original owner might have been a different story. Didn't want to gamble unless I had a back up, mainly if the trany went out without a back up, snow waits for no mechanic. But this year seems horrible for snow.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great work and thread. Love your deck over trailer. Who is the manufacturer and is that dovetail hydraulic or something to see go from the dovetail to flat in pictures?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks. The trailer is a B-B by Bhenke Enterprises. It is the same brand as our dump trailer. We've been very pleased with them.

The dovetail is simply mechanical. It is spring loaded (there is a leaf spring underneath) and you just pull a couple of pins, raise the tail, and a couple of metal blocks swing into place to hold it. Very simple and effective.

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Good eye, they are terra grapplers. They seem to perform well, hopefully we get decent miles out of them.

Actually, that pile fit with room to spare! We didn't even have to untarp and stomp them down like we occasionally do.
You should try mulching them as their being sucked up. What i do is have one guy mulch the pile of leaves before it gets sucked in and re-mulched. You would be amazed how less space it take up in the trailer. That one pile would be 1/5 of the size after mulching it. I use a 21'' mower that i dont use anymore. A pile that size would take about 5 minutes.
Haulmark 6x12 Enclosed trailer
Bri-Mar 6x12,7x14 Dump Trailers
18hp Billy Goat Leaf Loader
Classen 5.5 Honda Power Rake
Stihl FS100RX, FS110 Trimmers
Stihl HL100K, HS81T Hedge Trimmers
4 BR600 Blowers
Stihl 029 Chainsaw
Honda 3 HRC216HXA Mowers
5 HS520A Snowblowers, 1 hs928was
Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of our larger accounts get collected with a ztr, then re-collected through the leaf vac. You are right that it takes up much less trailer space. However, we find it faster in most cases to suck loose undisturbed leaves. The mulched leaves take a lot more effort to suck. And so long as the trailer will last the day, we're happy. Thanks for the idea though.

Work / Equipment Thread