Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Love all the pics. Really showing me how useful a mini skid is and how bad I need one. As for those larger trees, I've never done more than 2.5" caliper trees or so. Do you just plant them full burlap or tear the top back a bit? Also did you have to stake those big ones? Or is that not necessary because of the size? Again, only asking because I've yet to do anything on that big of a scale.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are really happy with the miniskid, very useful machine.

All trees we plant, we will backfill enough to stabilize the tree and cut off the upper portion of the burlap.

We base staking on whether or not the tree feels solid after planting. The large trees are very solid, so we will not be staking. The pears are a little loose, so those will get staked.

Lawn & Landscape Maintenance -- Landscape Installation -- Snow Management

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice work! And does yor ditch witch mini skid, will it dump over into a 1 ton dump? We did a demo on an mt52 bobcat and has some trouble reaching into the bed on our 450, but we did a demo on the vermeer brand and it sat up higher and the lifting hieght was more than enough, i was just curiuos about the ditch witch, and sorry if you have answered this question before.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We mostly only dump into our dump trailer. Not sure on the dimensions, but i'll post some pictures for comparison.

The specs claim the hinge pin height to be 81" (compared to the bobcat at only 71").

Dumping at max height is somewhat limited by the bucket dump angle. It does not dump very steep at full height. But you can shake the bucket to get the material out.

The other limiting factor is reach. The bucket will be dumping at the edge of the bed, not the center. So you might not be able to get the bed "fully loaded".

Bottom line, it's not ideal for loading material, but will get the job done when needed.

I think I've posted these before, but here they are again.

This one to show the height of what we dump into on a regular basis. Close to max height.

And this one to show the dump angle at max height, bucket shaking does the trick for "sticky materials". We cheat when we can by loading for an elevated surface (above curb).
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/4483/img0332jf.jpg

I personally wouldn't consider anything but a Ditch Witch or Vermeer as other brands don't compete in the lift height/lift capacity department, at least not bobcat and toro. You'd think they would get the clue by now.

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking at the last picture, I don't think that was full lift height. I think this photo shows it better.

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 01-05-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the info, so i'm sure some one with experience could load with it pretty easy but, prolly not a new hire, We currently have a bobcat 453 skid steer, it has a 36inch bucket and works great, but it being a tire machine we have trouble in mud and have trouble with tearing up turf, so we were hoping replace it with a mini skid so we have less of a foot print (well, we will still keep the 453 it has its purposes). We have a big skid we do our big loading with, but thanks again for the info and great work!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Ryan,

I just went through the whole thread. Man - how time flies!!! I can remember some of those first pictures of Old Blue when you still had the lettering on there. AWESSOME job as always!!! Yall keep up the GREAT work and best of luck in 2013!

Jay
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GLS - Nice pics of your work and equipment, it looks like you can do alot of work with your mini skid and the dump trailer.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriderLawn09 View Post
Hey thanks for the info, so i'm sure some one with experience could load with it pretty easy but, prolly not a new hire, We currently have a bobcat 453 skid steer, it has a 36inch bucket and works great, but it being a tire machine we have trouble in mud and have trouble with tearing up turf, so we were hoping replace it with a mini skid so we have less of a foot print (well, we will still keep the 453 it has its purposes). We have a big skid we do our big loading with, but thanks again for the info and great work!
No problem. You'll definitely have less of a footprint with a miniskid. We switched to turf tracks, and they've been great. We do put plywood down from time to time if there are tight turns to be made to prevent any damage. But driving straight or gentle turns are no prob.

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the compliments.

Here are some leaf cleanup pics from last fall that I found on my phone.

Work / Equipment Thread