Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2004, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ryan, it is a 7.5' x 12' bed. No dumper yet :crying: shooting for one next season. Alot of the pictures of my truck you have seen were a 8' wide bed but 12' long. If you've seen it with the tall red steel sides then that is a 7.5' wide 12' long bed. I changed the beds to accomodate the sides, and the few inches in width dropped helps visibility issues with the mirrors and trailer and all.
If you go with a dumping bed on your blue truck, I think 7 or 7.5' wide would be good, and 8 or 9' long I'd say would be a good managable size. Thing about that type of setup vs. what you now have, you will gain capacity in weight and volume because your current setup has to weigh quite a bit by itself, and takes alot of usable space too. Flatbeds are more versatile as you know, with easily interchangable side options, the ability to side-load pallets (run a spreader on the receiver hitch and load pallets of salt on the bed in winter), not worry about it getting beat up a little here and there, unlike a pickup bed worrying about getting it dented.
Good luck with everything. You have a nice setup. How's the trailer situation coming along?
Eric
Old 11-22-2004, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Eric. We have rearranged some stuff on the trailer so it is easier to load/unload. We have 2 backpack blower racks and 2 backpack sprayer racks along with the trimmer rack that was already there. The rest of the junk is pretty much out of the way, except for the bagging pieces (ie blower, chute). It's actually pretty efficient now. We'll probably be keeping the current trailer for a while. Most likely will get a dump trailer before a larger landscape trailer.

Lawn & Landscape Maintenance -- Landscape Installation -- Snow Management

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 11-22-2004, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are getting a dump trailer, would you still need the '95 Chevy? You may come out money ahead if you sell that truck and get a dump trailer, plus have alot more capacity than the dumper in your pickup. A dump trailer would be useful for alot of things and you already have a really nice and reliable, very capable truck with your new crew cab there, so a backup truck may not be too necessary.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We would probably use a dump trailer mostly for landscaping materials like mulch, gravel, stone, etc. The dump insert would still be nice to have to through debris into when hauling the mowers around. Not sure if I mentioned earlier or not but me and my brother run the business, so we need two trucks. They both have plows now...we just installed a blizzard 810 on the dmax. Hopefully we get alot of snow this winter

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 11-22-2004, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With just 1 trailer why do you need 2 trucks. You had just the 1 for a long time.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1) Needed another plow truck. 2) One of us can take one to do a job where trailer is un-needed (hedge trimming, landscaping, etc) and the other can mow. 3) Personal vehicle. 4) We'll get more use out of the trucks in the future.

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 11-22-2004, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After i posted i realized, that makes good sense.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your K2500 Truck

I love that truck, it looks really nice. What do you think of it? Im thinking about making a switch from my chevy 3500 dolley to a single rear whell reg. cab 2500. How is it for plowing? Towing? and hauling loads?
Old 11-24-2004, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I could not bring myself to work in that nice of a truck. Your set-up seems perfect... a 36" and a 60" really do the trick. You must have green in your blood!! Congrats at doing so well at 18!!
Old 11-24-2004, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, i was wondering is the size of your trailer? I'm kinda in this dilemma of what size trailer to buy. I have a 48 and a 36 walk behind but some day if i require the right size accounts i want to buy a viper 62 with a Peco and was wondering if a 6x12 would be to small. Thanks