Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2004, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The overload springs I have are an extra set of leaf springs that contact only with a load. You could also simply add springs to the factory set. Other options are air bags or timbren load boosters.

Cost for mine I don't know. They came with the truck when I bought it. They work great though. Very little sag when loaded. Does it feel like a one ton truck? I guess suspension wise it does.

The first picture shows the overload springs on the top. Factory overload spring on the bottom.

The second picture shows the springs under load (very heavy load )
Attached Images

Lawn & Landscape Maintenance -- Landscape Installation -- Snow Management

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 11-28-2004, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The chevy

What did you pay for the chevy? Have you had it sence new? And what jobs have you taken on that you felt the truck did not have enough power or could not haul enough to make the job alot easier?
Old 11-28-2004, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We bought it two years ago with about 60,000 miles on it. One owner before us, which was my uncle. Paid $10k, which included the snowplow and ez-dumper. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering we wouldn't have to add a plow or ezdumper (I know trucks that come with a plow might have been put through extra abuse, but I know what its been through being that it was my uncles). Great starter rig in my opinion.

Honestly, it suits our needs perfectly. I always want MORE power, but it has plenty for what it does. Same goes for hauling, you could always use MORE capacity. But we seldom have big jobs that require extensive hauling.

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 11-29-2004, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dump insert

I saw in one picture you had the dump insert in, and in another picture (the one of you snow plowing) it was out. Are the dump inserts something that can be taken in and out easily? I hear they weigh 700 pounds.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are fairly easy to remove/install. Unhook from battery, unbolt 4 bolts, and slide it out. Our method involves 2 sawhorses (height of truck bed) and a few guys. After it is all unhooked, slide the unit out a few feet. Put the back end on one sawhorse. THen, have two guys holding the unit back and have the third guy drive the truck forward. Once the unit is almost all of the way out, put the second sawhorse in place on the front end of the unit. Then just drive the truck the rest of the way out. No lifting involved, just sliding.

Here's a picture of it on the stands. Works very well for us. We take it out in the off season to get rid of the added weight, add visibility while plowing, and prolong the life of the dumper by avoiding road salt.

This picture was prior to a repaint...
Attached Images

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 11-29-2004, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The motor

Thats what powers the dump to be able to handle 3 tons!!!! (that is the motor directly below the window guard isn't it???) You might have told me this before and if you did I'm sorry................but what did you pay for the insert? What have you hauled with it.......i figure you have hauled mulch and i saw the pic of the compost you hauled, but what other jobs have you done with it? And what big benifits have you seen with it?????

THANK YOU
Old 11-29-2004, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
Thats what powers the dump to be able to handle 3 tons!!!! (that is the motor directly below the window guard isn't it???) You might have told me this before and if you did I'm sorry................but what did you pay for the insert? What have you hauled with it.......i figure you have hauled mulch and i saw the pic of the compost you hauled, but what other jobs have you done with it? And what big benifits have you seen with it?????

THANK YOU
His insert came with the truck.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As ALarsh already said, the insert came with the truck when I bought it. But you can get a new one for around $2,000-$2,500.

This particular year of dump insert has a lift capacity of 2 tons rather than 3 tons. Never had it not be able to lift a load though.

We have hauled all kinds of material in it. Crushed stone, mulch, topsoil, compost, leaves, grass, brush, river gravel, sand, the list goes on.

Types of jobs it is used for: debris disposal (grass, leaves, brush), hauling crushed stone, gravel, sand for landscaping jobs, etc.

Another great benefit is being able to load wheelbarrows easily. You can tip the dumper up a little bit, just before material slides out. Put a wheelbarrow under the gate and slide the material out, no scooping involved. Huge time and labor saver.

Some more pics:
1. The motor, gets the job done. This one is much different than newer ones.
2. Scissor lift system. Also gets the job done. There are a few brands that have telescoping cylinders.
3. Using a ramp to load sod from edging.
4. Dumping out a load of sand.
5 (6). Using the "sliding material out" technique with sand for a walkway job.
Attached Images

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 11-29-2004, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple more pics.

1. Using the sliding out material into wheelbarrow technique again with mulch.

2. Hauling chopped up leaves...Mulching then bagging with ztr, then dumping bags in dumper.

Even if we did nothing but use the dumper to put debris from maintenance work (leaves, grass, shrub clippings...), I think the dumper is still worth it. Would like to get the truck craft aluminum shorty model for the gmc.

Another use for an insert is to use a tailgate salt spreader. A few of the manufacturers offer a spreader for their inserts (truck craft, downeaster, and I think ezdumper now). Would like one of these in the future too.
Attached Images

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 11-29-2004, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gls

GLS ........thanks for all the great pictures. I really appreciate the all the pictures you post. You have some really nice equipment and two great trucks!!! I was wondering if you could tell me a Little bit about you company, and the history if you wouldn't't mind. (accounts, how many sides jobs you normally do, those types of things)