Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-12-2004, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Soap Opera for Lawn Care...

Since everyon ehas been through this cr@p, why not make this a common venting ground.

Here's the deal, I am trying to collect on a $315 debt from a soon to be former customer. Been to the house 5 times so far, getting the duck and weave every time.

I know this is everywhere on the site, I've been through the searches. Just wanted to give some people some drama to enjoy, and not have to go through it!

ANyways, I forgot who, but someone posted a site to get the collections letter printed, so I am trying that one now. Hopefully I will hear from them in a few weeks.

Now before anyone snaps at me to forget the money, I am doing this for 2 reasons:

1) the principle of the matter (theft)
2) this is my new hobby for the year....let me explain

instead of getting mad, I am going to enjoy this a bit. I know customers sit back and laugh when they think they can get away with not paying for something, so I am going to be laughing my a$$ off all year long bugging these people.

I'll try to fill everyone in on the outcome, but any suggestions, or things you'd like me to do, let me know, we can make this an interactive lawn care drama!

Man, I really am going to have some fun with this one.

To bring you all up to speed, did 3 months worth of work, billed each month (1st $60, 2nd $210, 3rd $45) and have been trying to collect since October.

Tune in for the next episode of Lawn Care Repo Man
Old 01-12-2004, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Twins not to hijack but i'm a little worse off than you i'm owed a total of $665.00 from 4 people now the thing is 2 out of the 4 i know will pay but the other 2 i'll have to chase down

Good luck with you money hunt Twins

1 more thing don't it make you sick when some @ss thinks they can stiff you this is Mr./Ms. stiff "Well it's just the lawn guy who cares??" sorry just had to add that
Old 01-12-2004, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking forward to see how things turn out. Keep us posted.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This isnt something I would actually do but I think it would be great.

Have a customer "joe blow" not pay his bill?
Go to his house late at night and in his front yard use round up to to clearly write in large letters "JOE BLOW DOES NOT PAY HIS BILS" Now all his neighbors knows hes a loser but they probably knew that already.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I have a ton of "Happy Thoughts" like you mentioned promower. I think that is why I am trying to have some fun with this one, to help deter myself from acting on them

Going to send the certified letter today, so I should get a nice little love note back from him by Valentines day!
Old 01-12-2004, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about "writing" anything on his lawn as it sure would point to who did it and maybe his neighbors wouldn't even notice anyway. A Zip-lock baggie w/ Round-up in it might be a better idea, but it might cause a problem for the next LCO he hires. He might take the blame for the customers grass dieing. I got stiffed for $900 by a friends father 18 yrs ago. Parents were going thru a divorce and I had been doing the lawn. My friend couldn't help get the money, but since I was able to borrow his dump truck, trailer & backhoe when I built my house I figure it worked out in the end. Good luck getting your money. Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

..they call it "theft of services" down here, and it IS a punishable offense. A collection agency should be able to help you here. Be careful about posting any signs - YOU could be getting into trouble for slander.... Be professional, you'll win....eventually
Old 01-12-2004, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Take the guy to court. I've got my first small claims court date set for March 1st. Not much else you can do, really.

I plan to sue every single deadbeat who stiffs me. I'll pay the $62 court fee on all of them because I think it'll be a good investment long term. I figure most of them will find a way to pay me when they need a home equity loan or need to move and get a new mortgage.

As for 2004, it's my contract..."If the account is unreasonably past due, I charge $75 for each certified mailing and $450 if the matter goes to small claims court...these fees are in addition to actual collection cotsts." It takes a lot of time to go down to the post office and stand in line to send certified mail. It also takes time to file and appear in small claims court. I hope the court will allow these fees. We'll see what happens eventually.

I was really hoping the deadbeat would find the $250 he owes me when he got his summons to appear in court, but so far, no payment.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper
Old 01-12-2004, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Guys how would one go about getting the dept put on somones credt repot and how do you file a lein on a property

I have herd things mentioned a # of times but forgot to ask how to go about it

Thanks
Old 01-12-2004, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

++++Guys how would one go about getting the dept put on somones credt repot and how do you file a lein on a property++++

Turn them over to a collection agency. They have the means to muck up someone's credit for non-payment.

Alternatively, if you get a judgement and file it with the county clerk, the credit agencies will pick it up there too.

As for a lien, the only type of lien I could get in Texas for non-payment of landscape maintenance would be wiped out by a personal bankruptcy. I figure filing a judgement with the county clerk is just as effective. In Texas, the only way to get a good lien is to file a mechanic's lien...you aren't entitled to that for landscape maintenance, though.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper