Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2015, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

2015 Starting Loadout

So, I am just starting out and do not plan to do a lot this year, but just enough to break even. I might be moving at the end of the year so I am keeping it simple, but thought I would share what I am using this year.

Poulan Pro 3-in-1 Push Mower
140cc Briggs & Stratton Engine
21" cutting deck
Side discharge/mulch/rear bag
5-position height adjusters
5.5 ft-lbs gross torque

Remington® 25 cc Curved Shaft Gas Trimmer
25 cc 2-cycle engine
Dual line bump
17" cutting swath a

I also picked up a poly rake, corn broom, scoop shovel, 5 gal gas can (straight gas), 1 gal gas can (mix gas), gloves and safety glasses. I do have cones (keeps people from parking on my butt when I am on the side of the road) as well as safety green shirt.

I do realize most of my stuff is resi based and pretty basic, but hey, we all start somewhere. I did talk to my local hardware shop for blade sharpening, but what was awesome is instead of sharpening he just keeps replacement blades on hand so no wait time.

I am looking to pick up a few more things though: Heavy garbage can, loppers, hedge trimmers and a blower.

What I have also ordered are business cards (actually, printed at home using avery paper) and made flyers for tack/community boards (helps to live in a small town). I also ordered car door magnets just to help when I am parked on the side of the road.

All in all though, I am hoping for around 5-6 clients for the season as I am focusing on my small 1 horse town (seriously, we have 1 cop and I think 1 stop light. We are about 30 minutes from anything). I do work full time so I am mostly just filling up what spare time I do have.

Photos attached
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2015, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, good luck my man, welcome to the green industry! I would consider an echo handheld blower, it will come in handy. As you said the equipment is very very basic. There's a lot of little landscape stuff you can do as well with even more basic tools.

You should have no problem getting 5-6 clients. Get some flyers made up and go door to door. But you can order 250 business cards from Vista print for $10. I've never had good luck with public board advertisement, I think your best bet is word of mouth, which i feel is the case in any town or city. So go that extra mile for your new clients, and always do what you say you will.

Good luck!

My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFm...MwXFuPEoNTyvyg

2011 Ferris 48" Comfort Control DD
2001 Toro 36" Belt Drive
5x12 Carry On Trailer
2001 Ford f-150 XLT
Echo Trimmers
Stihl BR600
"Work smarter not harder"