Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2004, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello I'm new..

Wow i'm glad I came across this website while looking for lawn care business advice on yahoo.

I worked for my bestfriends dad for a year and half and I quit do to poor pay, working with my friends kinda sucked cause we would argue and stuff, and I didn't like how my friends dad ran things.

So I decided I was goin to try and get my dad to try and start our own business. Right down the road from us about 15mins away theres about 7 new subdivisions being built that is going to be a gold mine for law care. Most of the houses are 200,000$'s so nice yards and i'm sure will need landscaping and mulching.

The thing I'm wondering is more ways to advertise, aside from flyers and phone # on truck and trailer..

I was wondering if anyone has every talked to the people that are developing the houses about handing out business cards to potential home buyers or just to people who buy houses in that neighborhood and if its worked. I was thinking that would be a good way.

What are some other key ways for advertising and marketing??

Another thing I was wondering about is business licenses is there a website I can goto and read about the cost?

I live in Orlando, FL if that helps with answers.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry I just realised this might belong in a different forum topic.

*add to first post* I was also thinking after I got a few accounts, and I figure out what it takes to clean pools and what not to add that on as a service also. Get your yard cut and your pool cleaned.

Last edited by yardsurfer; 01-17-2004 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buddy up to the developer. He probably already has a landscaper but it cannot hurt to ask if you can bid. You will need lots of things in place to bid commercial, so be prepared.

And if you have that many nice homes being built in your area I would invest in a decent sized yellow page ad. New homeowners are going to be checking them when they need work done.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I know most of them have landscapers to install the trees, and plants. I was thinking more along the lines of using them to help me get the accounts to mow.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. Do a search at the top of the homepage, use a word like 'advertising'

2. Call your town hall, city courthouse or go to a city or county website for information on your license. It's usually a one time fee.

3. There are several "other" services one could consider adding. Again a search under "other services" or something like that may give you some ideas. You will probably need to have some experience with chemicals invlolved in keeping a pool balanced, but it is not a bad idea.

We presently do Landscaping, Maintenance and Pressure Washing, but the business is 'Property Care', as opposed to the more specific 'Landscaping'. We have considered getting more involved in gutter cleaning, window cleaning and pools. Taking our existing custommer base and expanding a present customer loyalty into a more diverse and profitable account. I personally feel that as this industry saturates a good business owner will need to become more creative. Many have already set themselves apart with a greater knowledge of plants, soil and chemicals and homeowners notice this.

You will find as you progress, there are so many extensive services relating to Landscaping alone, it becomes a little difficult to get too broad. Your time becomes diluted to an extent.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I was wondering if later on adding on pool cleaning along with the actual lawn care was a good idea or not...

So I guess I'd liked to hear more about what else you other guys do aside from the lawn care.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

try to get 10-15 accounts in the area of town you want to work in. if your starting out you need to know how much cost you will incur and if you have the equipment to handle it. Takes money to make money a famous saying by a PRO. Personally I would hand out flyers and then have your work speak for itself. Word of mouth is huge in this business. Maybe you could get a Dixie chopper I know they are popular in flat regions and up here in tennessee for the country boys who know hot to run them (some death traps in TN) but they are probable the best b/c of their blade speed -awesome stripes- good luck yardsurfer-lets kick some grass in 2004!!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I worked for my bestfriends dad, and my best friend and 2 other of our friends for a year and a half, and I was always thinking of ways he could improve business but he never listened.

I think i'm going to try and start off with a 36" lesco I want to try and get a used hydro but I may end up getting a belt atleast just to get me mowing.

Weed eater, edger, and backpack blower of course.

I want to start off with nice equipment but it may not happen that way..

I want to hit up this area that has already started developement and has a good bit of houses built already, but the area is going to explode in the next 7-10months with houses.

Another good quote from my grandpa:

Only way to make good money is to work for yourself.