Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2004, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ask him, he replies with 20 cuts a month.

That's 20 different houses, but how many are weekly, lol..

I'm going to make a list of questions to ask him so I can bring with me. Can you guys come up with some questions?

1) How many cuts per month do you average?

something like that..
Old 01-15-2004, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am hooking up with a local real estate person now in the Albany area....she gives a gift certificate to the new owners each time in the amount of $200, so I then estimate how far that goes, and then if they want to continue with service. I mean, $200 could be all cleanup, or it could be 5 mowings
Old 01-16-2004, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking to myself, if the real estate agent was hiring you to do a service on a residential, it would be the homeowner paying you, not him.

ie) Real estate agent asks homeowner to do some maintenance work so they can improve the sale of their homes. The homeowner saids, nah i'm too lazy. Real estate agent tells homeowner I know somebody who can do the work for you, here's his card call him. We get the call and do the work.

This point, the homeowner pays you.

The only situation I can see when a real estate agent pays you is if he owns a lot of homes, or his buddy owns a lot of residential's that they need taking care of and the real estate tells you to maintenance it. This is the only situation I can see when a real estate agent pays you!
Old 01-16-2004, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MY best customer has a real estate office. Many times she will give my name to her customers. Some times the buyer of a home has requested that certain things be done before the sale. When this happens, the agent tells me what they need and I do it. I then give the agent a bill and I am usuually sent a check by the title office after the closing. Normally 2-3 weeks. I like it this way because no one ever asks how much. Its never been more then a couple hundred bucks though. In fact one time they agent didn't think it was enough and made me give her a higher bill.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welp, I went to meet with the real estate agent.

The meet was not anymore then 20mins. We just briefly talked, went over some stuff exchanged cards, I showed him an example of a maintenance agreement.

He asked if we do condo's and if we could lay down sod. We told him, we did everything. We also gave him like 50+ business cards, so we hope to get some work.

He said you could leave brochures at his office, I said sure now I have to make some up!
Old 01-16-2004, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck bud!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I have done work for 2 real estate agencies. Mowing rental properties that they manage. I simply bill to the agency & have always been paid. On the other hand, they normally get me in when the lawn looks more like a hay paddock & other contractors won't touch it. One property had approx 35 tree stumps approx 3" diameter & all about 3" above ground. This on a propery that only just had access for a 26" wb.
Happy mowing
James
Old 01-17-2004, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL .. But you gotta love real estate agencies!

How did you grab the real estate agencies?

I just grabbed one by emailing him because he had a flyer at my house. I decided to email him, he said he was looking for someone, we met up on fRiday and that was that.

I will be leaving a whole stack of brochures and business cards at that agency and I will proceed to talk with other agencies..
Old 01-18-2004, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have worked with real estate people before. It's a mixed bag. Some are good about paying and allowing you to do your work. Others are pitas. I have had agents that would call me hours before a showing and want me to come cut a property just for that showing, expecting to drop everything to do it. One realtor had me mowing their vacant properties, and started getting cheap about how often and skipping here and there. I don't solicit them, but I would reply to an inquiry.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know with real estates you have to drop what you're doing and attend to them immediately.

ie) you have your route planned out for the today. The real estate agent calls you to do some maintennace work on a home for showing purposes which is across the city which takes you 15mins to drive.

Do you a) drop everything and go? b) tell him you can't and you're sorry.

If you chose the latter option, the real estate will not go with you again in the future I pressume.