Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Which mower holds on hills and slopes the best?
ZTR 2 4.76%
Walk Behind 20 47.62%
Stander 14 33.33%
Sentar 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2004, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Stander

Wright Stander owners:

How does the Stander hold on hills and slopes compared to a walk behind or ZTR?
Old 01-16-2004, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Stander. If you remember to work from the bottom up....IMHO it will handle any hills you have guts enough to try!! I have done some that i know walkbehinds had trouble with. Just my opinion.

Mike
Old 01-16-2004, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Stander and have only put about 5 hours on it. The one lawn I service with a hill has a lake at the bottom. It got scarey there a few times. Real scarey. I think the only troubles I got into were because of lack of experience on it. It seemed to handle it just fine otherwise. This same hill was no problem for my walkbehinds though, and I have never ran a ztr for more than a few minutes so I didn't vote in your poll.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with working from the bottom up. Also, its easy to jump off a stander if the need arises. I love the standers....
Old 01-16-2004, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a demo a while back and went close to a car and then turned up a hill and it just started spinning in the grass quickly turning it to mud. I was stuck and since there is no way to manhandle the stander I thought I would just back it up and get out of the way of the car. As I was backing it up it just slid right into the car. It cost me $800. I took the stander back to the dealer. I will never own a machine that has nothing to grab on to to help you steer it out of trouble.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

21"
Old 01-16-2004, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

standers hold hills just as good as any ztr, but walkbehinds are the champions of hills and slopes.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Ferdelance is correct if you are talking one of the bigger Standers, ie a 52. I have a 36, and no way it is as good on a hill as any walkbehind. I do not think it is even as good as most ZTR's. I believe it is due to the small tires, and narrow stance. I would imagine a larger tired wider wheel base stander would be the equal of most riders, though those Hustler Z'a are pretty awsome on a hill.

Jay
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-17-2004, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Remo,
All you have to do on a stander to get traction is lean into the spinning wheel. if its bad just lean back a little, bring the nose up.
After you use them for a while you start to understand the balance. I have a 42" stander and I have never had a problem with slopes, I have a retention area with a 45 degree slope it holds fine. I have to put a foot on the high side wheelie roller to hang on. But never, never,NEVER point the nose downhill!
I usually go down the bank backwards and work my way up.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Banned

Pretty sure this had nothing to do with the machine. More like operator error.

Quote:
Originally posted by Remo
I had a demo a while back and went close to a car and then turned up a hill and it just started spinning in the grass quickly turning it to mud. I was stuck and since there is no way to manhandle the stander I thought I would just back it up and get out of the way of the car. As I was backing it up it just slid right into the car. It cost me $800. I took the stander back to the dealer. I will never own a machine that has nothing to grab on to to help you steer it out of trouble.